Kayak choices for hunting?

Ron Simmons

Thinking of adding a small kayak to the fleet for hunting on small water, retrieving and some fishing and had a couple of questions for any of you that might use one now.
Do you prefer sit-in or sit-on styles?
How long do you use?
Thanks for the input
Ron

Couple of questions I have so that we may be able to answer your question a little more accurately.

1. How far will you be paddling in to your spots?

2. How much equipment/decoys do you need to bring in with you

3. Do you plan to hunt from the kayak or just use it as a means of transportation ?

Ron,

We use 14' Old Town K140 Predators. They are a sit in kayak that Old Town no longer makes. We hunt and fish with them. I can haul plenty of gear and my dog can sit behind me. I can shoot out of them and dogs can jump out of them. Years ago I removed the seat for a season and used it as a layout grassed up in some emergent vegetation out in the middle of a lake. A bit tight but it worked.

If you can find an Old Town Tandem Otter or Loon hull, remove one seat and hunt it. Old Town was making a Twin Heron that was factory camo.

Will, I would be using it during hunting season mostly to retrieve downed birds on a pond that I hunt and maybe an occasionally as a layout in the same marsh. The depth is only 4-5 foot in the deepest spot and I could store it at the pond so transporting in would not be a huge issue. In the summer I would use it to fish on small lakes and slow moving water.

My experiences with hunting from kayaks.....

sit on top is better than sit in.....You can haul more stuff with you on sit on top....i find them easier to get back onto if you have to get out of them for some reason, or if you need to quickly get into them...I used them as much for getting around in as hauling stuff when the water was shallow enough that I just used them as big decoy sleds and dog platforms....

Thanks for the input Dani and Mike. I am leaning towards a sit-on just because I thought it would be easier to use with waders on, but wanted to hear from folks that actually used both. At least here in Michigan there isn't anything in the water that will eat me if I fall off.

My experience is just the opposite of Dani's. I couldn't haul my dog or dogs and as much gear with sit on tops I had. I also can grass up and hide in my sit insides easier than I could with the sit on tops. I Like big open cockpit sit insides. I have no trouble getting in and out. A sit on top will not fill with water if dumped but my center of gravity is so low I have to really work to dump my sit insides. When I drop something in my sit insides it stays in the kayak. I know there are some newer model kayaks available that I am not familiar with, my boats are a dozen years old. One of my buddies just bought a Native Ultimate another guy I know has a Nu-canoe. I would suggest trying to paddle a few different boats before buying.

I hunt, fish, and photograph out of them and have been for decades. I actually have been shooting photos of them for the manufacturers and magazines since back around 1984. I currently rep for 2 kayak companies and moderate a kayak forum for a large kayak dealership here in NC.
With waders on, it is difficult to get in and out of a sit in just because it does seat you below the water's surface. They are fairly stable but you have to compare the widths of the boats to others. Look for a minimum of 30" wide to get a fairly stable craft. Many of the fishing style sit-on-tops all offer a camouflage version and these hide easy enough just throwing some local native grasses over the boat and yourself. They also come in widths up to 37". Some to consider:
Jackson BigRig...this is the widest at 37". It is very stable...you will have to try to make it flip. It is heavy though.
Native Watercraft Ultimate FX15...one of my favorites, it is stable and open like a canoe, you sit down in it like a sit in, but the seat can be elevated to make it more comfortable.
Wilderness System ATAK 34" wide and stable, fairly fast paddling boat.
My buddy has a BigRig and I'm going to get one this fall to hunt out of. I have an ATAK and an FX15. I like the FX15 all around because it does haul a lot of gear.
With a SOT, you can wade out to mid thigh water, pull the boat up to your side, and just sit down into the seat...you get out the same way...very easy and no strain on your body what so ever. With a sit in, you have to lower yourself down a good bit or learn the tip point of the boat and make quick movements to kind of flip into and out of the boat while in mid calf deep water. If you pull up to the bank and try to get out, get ready for some straining. You can make easier work of it by attaching a thick nylon strap like a heavy dog leash to the bow grab handle and use it to pull yourself up or sit back down.

There are lots of decent discount boats out there but you pretty much get what you pay for. I would not get a boat shorter than 12' and narrower than 30" for a sit in and 32" for a SOT. Old Town has some decent boats, Field and Stream has some, and so does BassPro Shops. Get as wide as you can find though for winter paddling and shooting.

Ron

If you plan to use it as a layout in the marsh I would highly recommend a sit in. Actually I would encourage you to purchase a purpose built boat, either an aqua pod or momarsh type of deal. These boats are stable and easy to get in and out of with waders on. If you are just paddling around mostly a sit on is the way to go. Easy to get on and off and you can dump off the water rather easily. Just make sure to purchase a quality product that won't easily tip.

When we were using the kayak a lot, most places we could wade but sometimes we did need to cross deep water to get to the wadable areas. I would definitely agree with go as wide as possible but I also have a tendency to flip or fall out of boats. This is a 12' kayak. I had no problem carrying me, my bucket, Drake and up to three dozen decoys. Most of them were smaller decoys like teal, coots and ringnecks for sure but using bungee cords to keep them lashed to the bow and stern I had no worries about losing any. And I was never worried about flipping. That said, Steve can certainly carry more "stuff" in the 12' super puddler...but then it is wider and has an open cockpit that isn't sectioned off like the kayak is. I like it a lot more for hunting than I do the kayak.

I'd also agree that you get what you pay for in quality of kayak. And if you can, try out a lot of different kayaks to see what one paddles the best for you.

53b7b8e4-66b3-45f7-b5d8-59d328f5bb25_zps8c3a2ba5.jpg

11413069-b8ab-49a9-b093-b6d96e235711_zps733f4b09.jpg

Dani

Another thing to consider is that the paddle is as important as the kayak. When I was out looking around I was told this and didn't buy it - how much difference can a paddle make. I heard this more than once and the more kayak fos I spoke with this came up time and time again. This advice is given if you intend too do quite a bit of paddling, not just retrieving shot ducks in a small pond..

I found a used Werner Camano for dirt cheap and picked it up. My other paddle was similar to the one shown in Dani's picture. I have been out a few times with the newer paddle and cannot believe the difference. My wrists, shoulders, back and everything connected are not even fatigued in the least with the new paddle whereas with the older one, I would be beat. The advice given to me was very true. One down side is the newer paddle is probably not nearly as sturdy as the old one. Trade offs I guess.

Mark W

I'd agree with you on the choice of paddles Mark making a difference on longer trips. I've got a much nicer set of paddles that Steve was using that day. I much prefer them over the ones in the picture.

Ron,

Good morning! I hunt from a 14-foot, two-person, sit-inside kayak with the front seat removed. I carry as many decoys (duck and geese) as I'd ever wish to hunt over and have (more than once) paddled in an excess of one mile to my hunting spots. I've hunted her down to -10 and with winds in excess of 40 mph. STUPID BOTH TIMES, but I'm smarter now.

I bought the cheepo yellow kayak from Dick's Sporting Goods and immediately cut the front seat out of her. I then scuffed up above the waterline, gave her a heavy coat of primer, then bedliner above the waterline, then camoed her with typical colors. I left a large yellow stripe un-camoed on the bottom. My plan is to use it for visibility if I ever need found. Luckily, I've gotten teased for my "yellow streak" far more than its been needed for rescue purposes. I'll take the kidding....

Removing the seat provides more leg room and far more storage. I can deploy and collect my decoys with ease as I store them so that I can easily reach them (or their weights) from where I'm sitting. I carry my shotgun in a floating bag between my legs laying directly on the bottom. Then, once my decoys are deployed, I can have easy access to my weapon for float shooting or when I hide my kayak and walk to a hide. Getting in and out can be an issue, but I practiced in warm weather and got used to the layers and waders restricting my ability to just jump in and out. I also ALWAYS carry a dry bag with a change of clothes, and extra jacket and a road flare (To start an easy fire).

Shooting from my cheepo kayak is easy and I often just paddle the sloughs jump shooting birds. IF birds are present, unlike last year here, it is an successful venture and easily done.

My best suggestion, once you decide on a kayak of your own, is to invest in some HT Polar Mittens in a size larger than you'd typically wear. In fact, order two pairs. These gloves are impressive, easy to get on and off with wet skin, warm, and 'grippy' even when covered in ice.

The advise on the paddle is a good one. You will use your paddle for everything from paddling to shoving to retrieving decoys and ducks. There are some brands out there that even come with small hooks in the blade for just such things.
I will make this suggestion on size or length. Most kayaks be it sit in or sit on top will be wider. You can get away with a shorter paddle in a sit in, but a Sit On Top places you higher from the water and with the extra width, a longer paddle is much better I have found. I would suggest getting something in a 240cm to a 250. If you get a really wide boat, a 260cm may be necessary. The longer shaft length places your paddling angle lower and relieves stress on your shoulders. It places the blade further out from the boat which means that the paddle drips coming from that blade on each stroke will fall in the water instead of in your lap. The negatives to a longer paddle make your stroke slightly less efficient but you learn quickly to compensate. Your strokes will also serve more as a sweep so when intentionally sweeping way out, the boat will turn easier. You push off of things better with a longer paddle and reach and flip upturned decoys better.

SO...when you go try out a demo a boat this spring or summer...bring your waders and a strong dog leash...attach the leash to the bow handle and see which boat is easier to get in and out of...pulling yourself up or lowering yourself down with the leash will help in the sit-in. AND try out several different length paddles to see which one works best for the boat you pick out. A trip to a boat demo will help a bunch. Then I also suggest this...go and rent the boat you think you like and use it for a day or longer. Many paddling shops will apply a rental fee to your boat purchase if you buy one from them. That way you can load the boat with all your gear, decoys, and dog...and wear the hunting garb...and see if that boat will do what you want it to do.

I have a wilderness systems tandem 13'6 easy to paddle and and I have used it as a layout. Momarsh Dp , very stable great to hunt out of as a layout but much slower, aqua terra 17 sea kayak( Marsh green) very stable and fast ,I put the dog in the rear compartment. I don't shoot out of the Aqua terra.

I have a Native Ultimate FX 15 sit in kayak that I bought for fishing and hunting. Very stable with a comfortable seat and lots of room for gear and decoys. Mine has a removable bow hatch cover that keeps water out of the boat if waves break over the bow. I agree with the comments about buying the right kayak paddle.

I picked up an Old Town Pack Canoe, took the seat out of it, sit on a cushion on the bottom and use a kayak paddle. It is perfect for short distances, carrying a dozen or so decoys & my 35 pound semi-tame fidgity Boykin. With weight so low it is very stable.

Gary's choice is a good one to consider. Kayaks get all the attention now because they are "in". While I have several kayaks and do use them for waterfowling and fishing, I use my canoe for hunting whenever practical. I can carry a great deal more gear, and my dog, than with any of my kayaks and I can move it along quite nicely paddling solo with a kayak paddle. A few of my purist canoeing friends cringe at the thought but the kayak paddle is much more efficient when going solo. I also sit in the bow seat facing the stern, in order to keep my weight closer to the center of the boat so the opposite end doesn't act like a sail.

Key to making the Old Town work for me is sitting on the bottom. I bought it with that in mind. I think they are too darn short to sit high. Might work for a canoe expert but not me. The Old Town only weighs 33#. And like Germang says a canoe open configuration makes carrying gear easy.
My most favorite fresh water duck hunting craft is a 16' 38# Sportspal I picked up cheap a couple years ago. Super stable. Even I can stand up in it. I don't use it in salt water because I think the foam liner would hold salt water against the thin aluminum hull material.

Keeping weight low is indeed the key, in a canoe or a kayak, which is why a sit-in is more stable than a sit-on-top of equivalent width. I like to kneel in my canoe, with my butt barely resting on the seat. It puts your weight a bit lower but also allows your knees to transfer the paddling power through your body to the boat better. It's the same reason kayaks have foot pegs or rests.

One common mistake is thinking a smaller boat is better for solo paddling. That is the case for river paddling where quick turns may be needed but on open water a longer boat tracks better and doesn't require noticeably more effort to propel than a shorter one. In fact, the shorter the boat is, the more effort is required to keep it tracking straight over a long course.

Back