kayak has a new suit

Eric Esper

Last year I used 2 mojo ghillie blankets to make a blind for the kayak. It worked well amd will get continued use, but it took up a lot of room. I lucked into a roll of the material used to make the shoot through mesh windows for ground blinds in MAX-4. So a second set of cloths for the kayak was made as was a cover to hide the canoe when useing it. The canoe cover is just a straight sheet to drape over the canoe when we put it some distance upwind in certain hunting situations. The blind was stiched up with a quick stitch and secured with binder clips which are cheap, easy and simple to apply in headlamp light. The binder clips need to be painted and its finit. Its very light and takes up 1/5 the room. Basically it gives me more options.

View attachment P8270824_1_1.JPG
View attachment P8270825_2_1.JPG

That looks like it'll work great...I'm in need of a blind like your ghillie version...would you part with it?

Thanks.

Looks great - I like the lightweight option for the kayak. They get filled fast. Any problems with icing where you are? Actually, I guess I usually only use my kayak early season so that wouldn't be too much of an issue. Nice design.

Eric, have you tried the ghille blind material? I purchased some for my BBSB but when I put it on it looked like it shined way to bright and looked fake from a distance. I just have it laying in the garage now.

Eric, is this material available to buy any place? It would be great for my Aquapod. Your kayak looks good and like you said light weight and doesn't take up to much room.

Okay,1. sorry I'm not interested in selling it but it took 2 ghillie blankets and some aluminum 1/8x1 straps total cost 70$ retail +/-.2. yes the mojo ghillie is glaringly bright new out of the package but it is reasonably light and because its plastic (I believe its recycled grocery sacks) it doesnt mold rot or hold water . Th eanswer for me was to mist the material with flat khaki and OD spraypaimt it really knocked down the shine, then I mudded it with the vilest black gloppy mud I could find. It sill seems bright to me but the ducks do not care. 3. The max 4 mesh is not carried by my employer, It was a 1 of a kind item . I believe it was a sample of a product line that was decided against. There is a name on the product edge that youy may be able to track some down with, I'll check that and post it later when the rain abates.

The mesh has "Global concepts ltd" printed repeatedly along the edge. a web search produced so many hits as to be useless.

so It's lucky I scored the 50 yard roll, So I've got plenty. If I ever get around to building a kara I'l glass this stuff in for built in camo.

Back