kayak hunting

Kayaks were made for jump shooting! Then again, it depends on your model of kayak :)

I needed something that was car-toppable and looked real hard and long at all available ideas a few years back. It's what got me to come to this website! In the end, I decided to spend more money on something more waterfowl oriented than one for sport or fishing (although it was close) and dished out the money to buy a 10ft Aquapod. The Poke boat was a close second! They just can't be beat! The 'pod comes with a collapsible blind, which the poke did not have, although the poke was more expensive, it was significantly lighter. I was ok with lifting 50-55 pounds.

Although it is possible to hunt with a blind on it (a collapsible blind is preferred), the best way to hunt out of a kayak, IMHO, is to QUIETLY paddle along the shore's edge, or along small tidal creeks emptying into rivers or larger bays, starting sometime after low tide, working with the incoming tide.

Keep a sharp eye out ahead for little bends and eddies where ducks could be minding their own business, and even to small ponds in parallel to your route unknown to your existence. Every time you think you're coming along a likely spot, or before you turn around a a bend in the creek, lay your kayak paddle ALONGSIDE you (not across) and pick up your gun which should be positioned between your legs, pointed over the bow. As your kayak quietly glides through the bend, look around carefully for any movement. With any luck, they will be unaware of your presence, and will jump up to fly away. Duck identification in a blink of an eye is key! Also is the estimation of where the ducks would land once you get them! Only take the shot if you're certain of your aim and success! I don't know about most folks, but I do not enjoy chasing after cripples, and would rather not take the shot if it's iffy.

Not sure how much you can carry in the model kayak you're referring to, I know I cannot carry more than a dozen decoys in my 'pod, together with all the other stuff (bring a spare canoe paddle!). I would stick to small ponds, and away from large bodies of water where a strong wind can knock you about. it's one thing to be kayaking in the height of summer on a nice sunny day, and quite another when it's snowing/raining/sleeting sideways at dark thirty in the morning.

My $0.02. Good luck!

Anthony

My only recommendations of hunting out of the kayak is that you get a spray skirt during your treks, stow everything below, and store a dry bag with at least all upper clothing...

know your limitations in the boat...Kayaks have extreme sea worthiness capabilities dependent on length...Learn the boat...Learn the boat...Learn the boat...Buy a "SPRAY SKIRT"...Learn the boat...Practice in the boat in warm water with the same things you would fill the boat while hunting...Yes, it might seem and look funny to bystanders...But it doesn't look funny when those same bystanders read about you in the paper because you didn't know your limitations in the boat...It might seem elementary but a key thing you need to teach yourself or learn through a class is how to roll...Once you get the rolling down...Now learn to roll with all your stuff you will be hunting with in the boat...It changes believe me...Trekking the Quetico, Lake Michigan from Bear Sands Dunes to the Manitou Islands and other trips in which I have had to save myself in a roll situation stowed with 80 lbs of extra gear changes the effort and style of roll you may need...If you think you will not flip...Think again, shift your paradigm...Your not practicing the method just for fun but to qualify your prepardness on the just in-case moments that do happen to us all while hunting...

But please practice the paddling and manuevering in the boat...Flip yourself on purpose...Learn to roll...Once you have learned to row your capabilities of saving your ass increased ten fold of being at least to paddle to shore instead of swimming to light a fire...

Regards,

Kristan

I whole heartedly agree with Kristan.

The poke is wider then the regular kayaks and your weight is lower, in 20 yrs and hundreds of hunts laying out in it Ive never ever come close to flipping it.The great thing about the poke is you can carry it in one had and a gun and decoy bag in the other and head off cross country with little trouble.
It held my 220 lb butt 3 slotted decoy bags with 18 decoys , gun and shell box . When pulled into the sawgrass it was invisable.
The only reason I picked up the pintail which is wide and you can stand in was for the dog.There are many modified kayaks out there that are for hunting and very stable. I wouldnt recomend hunting on the Delaware bay in one but the rest off NJ waters are purfect for one. One word of caution if you have a fear of the water then kayak hunting is not for you and you should stick with a bigger boat

Heres the pintail

SDC10309.jpg

boat047.jpg

Doug, how did you fasten your fast grass to your Carstens? Looks really good

I used tard decoy line, its tied to the two handles(front and back) then along the gunales I drilled a small hole to run the line through.
I cut the matt into pieces to cover front,back and each side, then tied it in place. Then trim the edges with shears.

thanks Doug looks really good all grassed up. Good luck this season. this will be my first season using a puddler.

Make sure to work out all the kinks during the good weather. Wear all the gear that you would during the actual hunt and take the actual hunting gear with you. A good friend of mine flipped his last year in December while hunting and was fortunate enough to live through the ordeal. All his gear was lost including his gun. We were actually able to snag his gun with a grappling hook a few days later in 30 feet of water because his gun sling floated above the bottom. The best news was that he survived. He made many mistakes: he was chasing a cripple and was using the kayak as a retriever. He put a finishing shot on the duck, a complete broadside that made him lose his balance. He wasnt wearing a life jacket. He was alone. He didn't tell anyone where he was going. He had a wader belt on which helped to trap the air and help keep him afloat. Too many negatives in this story, amazing that he made it.

dc

Back