kayak hunting

brendan

i was wondering has anyone here used a kayak for hunting i have perception prodigy 10 i want to use for hunting the estuaries in nj. also i would use it for transporting decoys and gear if you have any tips please post them up here and put up some pics of your rigs

I haven't tried it yet either, but I have a Hobie Outback that I'm wanting to use this fall. I don't see how it can't be fun.

AMC

I have a Perception . I have hunted out of it on ponds and small lakes. I found it a bit cramped though. If your not taking much gear their ok. But they are convenient for a short hunt.

I did some jump shooting out of one last year. It worked well and was pretty fun. I just wore a wetsuit and booties. I want to grass it up and try hunting over decoys w/ it this year. Make sure you post some pics if you come up w/ a cover of some kind. Luke

Since the Outback is a “sit-on top” style kayak, Hobie makes a dodger that covers the lower half of your body for concealment, (as seen in Kevin’s post). It also has a large area behind the paddler called the trunk to carry decoys and other gear. Grassing around the parameter of the kayak and over the trunk is definitely an great option. Once I get mine figured out and set up, I’ll post pictures. I hope to see your rigs too.

so do you think i can can actually hunt from it while on the water or is it to unstable. if its to unstable i'll use it for getting to the area i'm hunting then use it for downed birds

I had a buddy that used one as like a layout blind on the land edge of salt ponds. And decided to try creek hunting and shooting while floating. When the duck came into decoy he sat up and shot and the kayak wasn't very stable and he took a swim. On a good note the mallard he shot was banded. See how stable your kayak is I guess it depends on the person and the kayak. Good luck

Pull the boat up on shore when you are hunting... wedge something under each side of the hull so it wont roll on land and use it as a blind. When you shoot a bird, paddle after him.
Another idea would be to build some sort of outriggers for the kayak with floats on them so you are stable...

Hi Brendan. I've owned a Poke boat for the last 20+ years, and hunt out of it a couple of times each year. Its a good boat for calm water, and I can shoot out of it with 3" shells broadside without worry of turn over. Fellow site member Dave Diefenderfer made me a web yoke that went around the bow that I secured with a 1/4" rope to the front lip of the cockpit. The web and line allow me to hang decoys on the line (with hooks on the bottom of the decoys) along the deck which frees up space in the cockpit for me and my bucket of stuff.

So yes you can hunt out of a kayak, but you have to realise its limitations.

John

was thinking about this also i was looking at getting a 10ft 6in trophy kayak from dicks sporting good its a sit in side
was woundering if you would where waders or not i would like to hunt a few spots along the bay hear in new jersey along the salt marsh fields

I use a Old Town Kayak Predator K140 with my dog and 18 decoys works great in the pineland swamps, small rivers, bays, and delaware river.

Last edited:
I have a poke boat that Ive used for over 20 yrs and killed hundreds of ducks from, very stable.
A few years ago I picked up a Carstens Pintail which is like a large kayak , got it so Id have room for a few more decoys and the lab.
These two boats are all I use. They are lite weight and I can put them in anywhere and dont need a ramp.
Only fell out of the poke once and it had nothing to do with hunting.LOL

Brendan,

I do not know your level of capabilities so if this sounds too elementary to you just grin and brush it off...I am only thinking about your welfare as a fellow waterfowler and hopes to read and see pictures of many successful hunts........

I have hunted out of a Pygmy Coho, company out of Washington State, that I built about 7 years ago on the Maumee River and several of the lakes north of Warsaw when I lived in Fort Wayne...The boat was mainly used for transportation to and from the area that I was hunting but have had some occassions where I draped the boat with canvas drop covers used by painters that I dyed myself in five gallon buckets...It is near 18 feet...I could stuff up to a two dozen birds in the front and rear hatch areas...A smaller boat would be just as efficient but lose some sea worthiness in big waters...

My only recommendations of hunting out of the kayak is that you get a spray skirt during your treks, stow everything below, and store a dry bag with at least all upper clothing...

The number one thing I would remember in wanting to hunt out of the kayak is know your limitations in the boat...Kayaks have extreme sea worthiness capabilities dependent on length...Learn the boat...Learn the boat...Learn the boat...Buy a "SPRAY SKIRT"...Learn the boat...Practice in the boat in warm water with the same things you would fill the boat while hunting...Yes, it might seem and look funny to bystanders...But it doesn't look funny when those same bystanders read about you in the paper because you didn't know your limitations in the boat...It might seem elementary but a key thing you need to teach yourself or learn through a class is how to roll...Once you get the rolling down...Now learn to roll with all your stuff you will be hunting with in the boat...It changes believe me...Trekking the Quetico, Lake Michigan from Bear Sands Dunes to the Manitou Islands and other trips in which I have had to save myself in a roll situation stowed with 80 lbs of extra gear changes the effort and style of roll you may need...If you think you will not flip...Think again, shift your paradigm...Your not practicing the method just for fun but to qualify your prepardness on the just in-case moments that do happen to us all while hunting...

Go for it...It will open up many opportunties...But please practice the paddling and manuevering in the boat...Flip yourself on purpose...Learn to roll...Once you have learned to row your capabilities of saving your ass increased ten fold of being at least to paddle to shore instead of swimming to light a fire...

Regards,

Kristan

I have an old perception Aquaterra, marsh green that I have used on the lake in front of my house for Sept geese. I took the rear hatch off and trained my small lab to sit there. Pro's ;fast,stable.Cons;no room for gear.hard to shoot out of. Recently acquired a wilderness systems 14T Pimilco, plan on a dodger up front.For safety I would plan on wearnig a vest while traveling ,here in Ny it's the law after Nov.!st.

Doug I am converting to your style this year Karen picked me a yak so Ill be trying it out.
I have seen Doug in both and he shoots alout of ducks.
Rick

Hi Rick

How ya been?

You cant go wrong when you go lite, it beats finding a ramp then having to motor for miles to get to a spot when you can just grab your yak and put in on a drainage ditch close to the spot and be set up in minutes plus a yak hides easier then a boat.

Back