Keel question

Pat Richter

I found an old raceing boat from the sixties made by roy schuster .The boat is 14' by 76" 16"deep all fiberglass a complete gut job . The hull is flat with a short 1' pointed bow .It had some type of keel near the transome made out of cast maybe about 3" by 14" all busted up . Question is how much keel is really needed .How wide how long how deep. I want just enough to track . Going to use it mainly in the back waters of the miss. Thanks guys i value your opinion

Pat, what is the shape of the hull? What is your power plan for her? IF you are not going to race her, I bet you don't even need the keel if there are chines? If it was a racing boat, that keel was there because it was the only part of the hull in the wter when up to speed.... Post some picutes.

Dave

The hull is flat and am going to deck it and put a 25 merc on it . so it don't need a keel.i'll try to get pic's

Pat:I would have to agree with dave. If it slides around a little more than you want on turns, a little three quarter by one strip down the center would help, might help center it on the trailer rollers too! We are using a lot of expanded PVC board for stuff like this. eastern shore guys are building whole boats out of it. check out PVC boat construction in National Fisherman. Rich.

you know i'm going to look into that pvc thank for the tip. the last couple of keels i made i split a 1\2 'PVC DOWN THE CENTER AND and 5200 it to the wood keel takes a lot more abuse than just wood Pat

Back