Kodi SMOKED a woodchuck

Phil Nowack

So Sarah yells at me ... that I need to get outside IMMEDIATELY!!!!

I run outside... and Kodi is LORDING over his kill... I call him... he runs to me and sits at heal... What a good boy!

DSC_7424.jpg

Last edited:
Phil, Wooow, feathers AND fur what a dog. That chuck probably would have had Booker for a snack. Finished mounting the jacks today but need a bit of bracing on the brackets tommorrow. They are going to change my switchover so much. Had to rewire the camper and the jacks but got them figured out with only a couple blown fuses. I will try to get some pictures.

Phil,
I had a Rottie who was a notorious ground hog killer. He would grab it shake it and you could hear the bones crunching and that was it. Be careful though, they commonly have mange as well

Wow did he get bitten or was he the only attacker???
caption is as follows

My yard My rules

shermie...

I didn't see the event...but I am quite sure Kodi was the only aggressor. He treed one a couple years ago, but if he sees any critter in his domain, he is on it. Kodi might have gotten nipped on tip of his ear. He had a small cut on the tip of his ear...

Phil, I don't think they are all that tough, don't think they would put up a fight.... we had one move in under the kids swingset years ago. He would hightail it when I let the dogs out...one day he was farther from his hole, and Moses hit it like he was retrieving a goose, rolled it and picked it up, and it was limp.

Dave, I don't think they are THAT tough either... but thye do have claws and teeth.. do YOU want to go pick one up with your hand? I think their body structure is amazing.. #1... they are fast as hell! #2... did you know thew can climb trees? rediculously fast!!! #3... based on their muscularture, I don't think they have the flexibility to be great fighters.. or should I say defend themselves....

I had a lab that got a few of them. He would grab them in the middle and shake, they didn't last long at all. I think if they were to bite a dog they would do some serious damage.

I have shot several out of trees.

Tom

My dad's lab got a hold of one when he was a pup. The woodchuck got a hold of his jowel on one side and when the pup shook him it tore up his jowel. No serious damage, but it was early winter with a fresh snow and it didn't look pretty where it happened.

great story Phil.

Glad Kodiak was ok. so you gonna mount it!! hehe

my Lab Buck used to go all crazy like that, but I think age has mellowed him too much. Now he just sort of looks at the other critters and figures, nah, ain't worth the effort!!

my poodle picked one up,,shook it once n it was, and it was all over,,like he had done it a thousand times before, I couldnt believe it. The wife was horrified

I didn't know they could climb trees. Earlier this summer I saw one swim across the river behind my house. I didn't know they would/could swim. Now I understand why the frequent floods behind my house never seem to dent the woodchuck population...

John

Back