KUIU waders review

You’d feel different if you lived in Maine or Montana or Minnesota, assuming those $800 waders actually keep you warm and dry.

47 folks died in the Buffalo, NY Blizzard a year ago. Not exactly balmy here and less expensive waders work fine for many hunters here. I dunno if it's about location.

my 2 cents

Vince

I bought a couple pair of Darn Tough wool socks and they arrived just last night. Yes, moisture is a warmth killer. I don't know if it is perspiration or condensation, but it builds up in my boots over the course of a morning. I love HotHands for my hands, but the few times I tried them in my boots I wound up walking on an unpleasant lump. One day I envision waders circulating warm water around the foot, much like the water-jacket in an outboard motor. I'd rather have that technology than 160 Db surface drives.

Vince

I bought a couple pair of Darn Tough wool socks and they arrived just last night. Yes, moisture is a warmth killer. I don't know if it is perspiration or condensation, but it builds up in my boots over the course of a morning. I love HotHands for my hands, but the few times I tried them in my boots I wound up walking on an unpleasant lump. One day I envision waders circulating warm water around the foot, much like the water-jacket in an outboard motor. I'd rather have that technology than 160 Db surface drives.

You will like those, I have 20+ pairs of differing styles. I wear them every day.

All I've heard is rave reviews on them. I threw away a bunch of pairs of old socks to make room. Might have to make even more room.

I love HotHands for my hands, but the few times I tried them in my boots I wound up walking on an unpleasant lump.

Is there space in your boots to put them on top of your foot/toes? That's what I would do when I used them in my boots and hated walking around on that lump.

I guess if I got the adhesive type I could stick them to the top of my toes.

The boot ones with adhesive are formulated to maintain warmth in the lower O2 environment in boots. They also are thinner and the material doesn't bunch inside. They are also ribbed for her pleasure.

Not sure when the big move was made , but when I started serious Duck hunting in the late 70s LaCrosse boots were made in LaCrosse WI. I suppose the priced of the new boots then were comparable to now days, pre inflation. Right across the street from the factory was the outlet store. A pair (seconds) of size 11 heavy canvas chest waders cost $75.00. so did the Ice Men, Ice Lands, and Ice Kings. I still have the last pair from that store and Yes, they leak a bit but they don't get used much now, I was in my late 20s back then... Everything went to China and you all know what we have now.

Best,
George

Vince

I wear only merino base layers and socks now. I try and find the highest merino content of whatever it is. Darn Tough's are pretty good. I actually picked up a $25 pair for $12 the other day at Marshall's, of all places. They say they are "irregular/blems" but I don't know the difference. Supposedly, alpaca wool is even more effective.

The one thing I've found for feet: Don't let them get wet before you put them in the wader. Even if it's sweat from the ride to the ramp in the truck. I use a spray on anti perspirant on my feet before I put them in the wader. We are behind the 8 ball as boat hunters. Sitting with knees bent, or sitting in general, restricts blood flow to the feet and they get cold. What makes it worse is wader boots are so darn tight these days.

Hands, that's an easy one:

One of those in each pocket. It's been a game changer. I don't even use gloves while actually sitting and hunting anymore.

I learned on my backpacking trips about 30-40 years ago to wear polypropylene socks next to my foot to wick away moisture. Always have worn wool socks, mostly the LL Bean rag wool socks, that are also very good, as are many other brands. To stay warm you must stay dry first and foremost. It's a lot easier to wear a base layer sock that wicks the moisture.

Greg

I typically wear sock liners when it gets really cold. On the more mild days I'll skip that extra step. But I totally agree, damp feet are hard to keep warm.

I bought the SITKA very comfortable and great with zipper when you need to re leave yourself boots are super warm but difficult to get off No tab on back of heel to push off. I want to try the KUIU waders I have a lot of their gear it is outstanding . Their Flex rain jacket is a beast as well as their fleece I know people talk about the money. I look at this way my boat motor trailer is over 12K , guns at least 1500 each decoys thousand of dollars Truck 60K Dog 8K so why should I not have the finest most comfortable waders?

Jim-you won't remember, but we met at a boat ramp off Delaware Bay coming in from hunting several years ago on Hansey Creek rd. You were with your buddy that had gotten mercury poisoning from eating too much tuna. Good to see you here and glad to see you are still gunning.

Jim-you won't remember, but we met at a boat ramp off Delaware Bay coming in from hunting several years ago on Hansey Creek rd. You were with your buddy that had gotten mercury poisoning from eating too much tuna. Good to see you here and glad to see you are still gunning.
Greg, thanks great to see you. We eat raw big eye and yellow fin but now limit intake Im getting dumb enough as I get older don't need mercury to help it along

You’d feel different if you lived in Maine or Montana or Minnesota, assuming those $800 waders actually keep you warm and dry.
I'm here to tell you the first time I hunted Florida was an invite and I was told to bring what I'm used to wearing hunting in NW Illinois. I didn't take that to heart. That cold in a Florida swamp in the morning
in the later part of the season is a bone chilling cold! Must be the moisture. When I moved down there I was wearing 5mm 1600gram neoprene waders to stay warm!

This is the first I've seen them mentioned but they have my interest piqued. My Sitkas made it six seasons before they started leaking and they are without a doubt the best wader I've ever worn. Nothing even comes close. I am sending them off for new boots. But, I was told they have changed boots, and not for the better, and this concerns me as everyone knows the boot makes or breaks a wader. The KUIU boot looks outstanding. I wish they had foam in the knees like Sitkas because boat hunting means a lot of knee contact, especially in a Devlin. That is a feature I don't want to lose. I think I am going to call Sitka and enquire about their new boot. If they have gone away from a neoprene based insulated boot and are using some thinsulate like crap I will be in the market for a new wader brand. This wouldn't be the first time a company made an awesome product and then cost engineered themselves out of the very features that made them the best on the market.
Eric , just called them today about the boots. You must have had the LaCrosse boots which were 1200 in the boots and now their own version is only 600 and I am disappointed Only saving grace there is no steel shank to conduct cold

Back