Last day eider shoot.....

Capt. Brian Rhodes

We got into em' pretty good the last day. So after the smoke cleared we hung out for a while and watched the show, and I indulged in my 'hobby'!

Here's a few shots I got from the morning.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy em'!

last.jpg

last2.jpg

last3.jpg

last4.jpg

last5.jpg

last6.jpg

last7.jpg

last8.jpg

last9.jpg

last10.jpg

last11.jpg

last12.jpg

last13.jpg

last14.jpg

last19.jpg

Great shots! Flaps -50%, Landing gear - down and locked, Line up, spill the air speed, nose up, call the ball! dc

Fabulous Capt. Brian, love the swimming high head drake eider in the morning sun....that's a good one!!

Did you see the pair of kings off Fort W.....last month. They were tucked up along the bluffs inside Kettleb....ledge? It was a second year drake and a mature hen.

Thanks guys!

I didn't see any kings this year Keith. I heard there was one over near Brenton Reef not too long ago.

I guess I'll have to throw up some AK shots too!

Great shots ! Man those seaducks are just too cool! Something I've been wanting to ask for awhile now ..... I've read of people talking about northern birds, and the lobes on the Eiders. Care to explain what all this means?

I can sure see why you hung around. Great shots of two species of sea ducks. Those Harlequins are just plain "GORGEOUS"!
Al

Brian,

Thanks for posting up the eider photos, I was on the Cape for a few days and saw lots of these birds in the water, but none flying. I was a little too far away to get a good look and was really interested in the seeing the variety of your photos.

John

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Gary here is a link to some good info about eider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Eider

There are 6 different subspecies, all with there own little different characterists. The northern (borealis ) has a thinner more pointy looking lobe compared to the common (dresseri ) which has a much wider rounded lobe. Other then that there is not much difference between the two.

Back