Last week during flood stage...

MLBob Furia

I finally got to re-sizing the pictures I took last week down on the Ohio when it hit flood stage on Wednesday. I brought a small mix of pintail, mallards & teal decoys, and saw all but teal + quite a few wood ducks & Canadas as I moved all around the flooded backwater off the main stem. Always a treat to see the pinnies around here.

I could obviously use some lessons in taking pics of birds in flight from Sutton or Gary March. How do you guys get such clear & focused shots!?! The decoy pics turned out nice though; they didn't flare when I stood up.

View attachment MarOR 006.jpg

View attachment MarOR 010 (600 x 379).jpg

View attachment MarOR 011.jpg

View attachment MarOR 012.jpg

View attachment MarOR 031 (600 x 390).jpg

Last edited:
Well, Bob, it looks like your stalking skills are much better with the decoys! Liked your pics. Thanks for sharing.
Al

sometimes I get lucky on the focus and sometimes I "crap out"......

with an "open sky" and nothing to trick the focus the more focal points the better....if you've got "stuff" closer to the lens than the bird or off to the sides where that focal point might "lock on" before the center point, which is what you are most lkikely watching, locks then you'll get those "how was that not in focus"? shots.....

I do love me some Pintails and those are "nice uns".....

Steve

Great series of photos.

The next to last duck photo looks like either a low-estrogen Mallard hen or possibly a Brewers duck. The bill doesn't look quite right for a Brewers though. Bob, can you shed any light on what that bird is ? Thanks.

Back