Lee Harker's Passing

I just received the sad and tragic news, my thoughts and prayers go out to the Harker family.

I was so lucky to have hunted with Lee on several different occasions, and what I remember the most are the times away from the hunt; the joking, camaraderie, and hi-jinks that made the times together so memorable. He was one of the most generous men I’ve ever met, and had the personality that, even after only a few minutes, was someone you’d consider yourself lucky to be able to call a friend.

I recall one of our first hunts together, and we had a double layout set-up on Quinte, we had a somewhat slow morning with the occasional GE or buffie working the spread. In comes a nice flock bluebills and we get up and blast away, I drop a bird, and I can’t recall if Lee dropped one or two bills but he was quite proud of himself, and asked me why I shot the bird that I did because it was a hen merganser, well after some good natured banter, the tender did confirm that it was a mergie and Lee would ride me about that shot for years. To my surprise, Lee carved a cork hen mergie and sent it to me a few weeks later to commemorate my less than glorious shot selection.

He will be truly missed by friends and family, but his memory will live on, and he will now live in eternity with the Lord.

God Bless you my friend.

"skinny"

View attachment hhh1.jpg
View attachment MLB04I.jpg
View attachment MVC-020S.jpe

View attachment hhh1.jpg
View attachment MLB04I.jpg
View attachment MVC-020S.jpe

Last edited:
Author unknown but has been hanging on my wall for over 25 years. Seems a fitting tribute for Lee.

The Waterfowler
When the leaves start to drop in the warm autumn sun,
It’s just about time to dig out your gun,
It’s been a long year since you put it away,
And your patience is waning for this year’s opening day,
For the call to the hunt spreads out like a fever,
From the impatient hunter to his anxious retriever,
You watch every day for the migration news,
To help you determine the spot you should choose,
To start off this season as right as you can,
To face this year’s challenge between nature and man,
Pity the non-hunter for he’ll never know,
The joy you find in the wind, rain, and snow,
For he’ll never see a flock coming in,
Hear the beat of the wings as they veer off again,
Nor watch a high flock just passing by,
Turn at your call and drop from the sky,
No he’ll never see the dog’s native skill,
Their power and courage, obedience and will,
Nor welcome the sun as it breaks through the haze,
With the promise of good things on this finest of days,
So be glad you are a hunter and able to share,
All the beauties and wonders waiting out there.

Last edited:
Wow....I had sent Lee a couple of emails in the past few weeks and though I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally it wasn't like him not to respond. I was looking forward to meeting Lee at Paul's for the decoy carving/hunt last fall but timing didn't work out for me. We had talked many times though the years on the phone and he was always there to help or to encourage. He will surely be missed. Gods speed and my prayers go out to his family.

Ed L.

I just got back in the country yesterday and found out that my friend had passed on. It's hard to believe we won't be sharing a boat in person anymore. He will always be there in spirit though.

I've known Lee since a few months after this site was started and met him for the first time ten years ago this coming May. Lee was the first person I ever met from the internet and I valued his friendship over the years. I can't exactly say what the bond was between us but there was something intangible that made our friendship stronger every passing year. Lee had conviction, a big heart, and was one of the funniest guys I have ever known. We had some good times over the years and I will always cherish those.

I am really sorry I wasn't there on Saturday for a final salute.

Good bye Buddy................. You're gone but not forgotten.

Pete

Like others I haven't been on the site for a little while. I have never met Lee but opened many threads I never would have because I saw he replied. Lee and his family had been in my daily prayers for the past few weeks. I will continue to pray for his family. Their loss has been great!

Tom

Like most, it's taken a while for reality to set in with me. I had been trying to keep more up to date on the site recently but it still knocked me for a loop to see that Lee had logged in on the 8th and moved on the next day.

"...didn't want things to mess up my season with Blake." I find it fascinating that I know that sums it up for a man I never met in person. Others first.

Back