Legality of planned activity?

Mark W

So we found another spot to hunt that is truly in the middle of nowehere. We can drive to within about 3/4 of a mile of so and then have to walk the remaining distance. Between where we park and where we plan to hunt are a bunch of really tall weeds, some trees. and very muddy spots should you go off the strraight line from the vehicle to the spot.

Over the weekend I built a 12V timer activated LED bulb on a 9' telescoping PVD pole. My plan is to place the light at the spot we want to hunt the day before and activate the timer. Then at 3-4 am the light turns on and we walk from the car to the light. Get to the spot and we can use this same light to set up by as it is bright enough to do so.

I've checked the waterfowl regts and find nothing against this activity. There are rules about remote controlled devices (this is timed, not remote controlled) verses wired devices. This rule was to prevent the use of remote controlled spinners (why wired spinners are good and wireless spinners are bad is beyond me).

So, am what I doing legal?

Mark W

Why not just mark the path in on a GPS and follow your route in?

If you have a smart phone, the GAIA GPS app ($20) makes it a fully functional GPS device.

Mossy oak weather app drop a pin and you can get right to your spot everytime pluss it has all sorts of good things

My guess is the light would indicate to other hunters that somebody is already there. When in fact there may or may not be someone there, it might just be the timer.
I agree, the GPS will get you to the spot and there is no question about it being a legal device.

Slightly different circumstance but we often put out a solar patio lantern when moose hunting so we can find our way to the spot in the dark. Bright enough to find and it doesn't bother the moose. It is totally legal up here provided you don't use it to hunt in the dark.

I'd rather not be looking at my phone and I don't think it is accurate enough for me. There are quicksand like mud flats should we get off track.. I can set my Jeep lights to turn off after 15 minutes so I can walk a straight line from my Jeep to the light in the distance.

OK, real reason, I'm too cheap to spend $20. Timer cost me $6 and the rest of the stuff I had laying around.

I have to take a look at your app though. It could come in handy for other uses. Can you mark tracks and save them on this app?

Mark W

My guess is the light would indicate to other hunters that somebody is already there. When in fact there may or may not be someone there, it might just be the timer.
I agree, the GPS will get you to the spot and there is no question about it being a legal device.

This spot is on private land and other hunters would be tresspassing. Not the intention. I did have a light like that at one time that was remote control activated. I would put the light about 75 yards from me and when someone would try and get that close I hit the remote and the light started falshing. Worked great until the remote control rules came to be. Even though I wasn't "hunting" with a remote controlled evice, I stopped using it.

MArk W

If you have a smart phone, the GAIA GPS app ($20) makes it a fully functional GPS device.

Very nice app. I thiknk this may be a better route to go if it is accurate. Thanks for the tip.

Mark W

Mark,

GPS's don't have a problem getting you back within about 10 ft. Walking they may be a bit less accurate but try it around home first so you know. If you really need to stay on a specific trail, like within a couple of feet the best would be fluorescent tape or tacks on trees. Bowhunters use them all the time for just that purpose. During the day they are almost invisible but shine brightly by flashlight.

I would get 4 plastic electric fence posts and use two hose clamps to put 4 foot tall fiberglass driveway markers on them and stick them in the ground inline with your walking route. The reflective band would be at around 7 ft high and you could just use a flashlight to get there...Private property should leave these in place for the season..

You are placing a battery powered light on private property, how in the world could this not be legal?
Its not like you are using it to shine ducks & shoot them.

Yes it marks tracks and it is very accurate I use it to get through the small creeks in the marsh in the dark. Here is the best part its free and you can access it from your computer also. I mark deer stands duck blinds rub lines and everything had its own symbol definitely check it out.like anything you have to play with it to fgure it out.

I know a compass always worked for me. Take a bearing to your spot in daylight and it will be the same bearing in the dark. If $20 is too expensive for the GPS, how much does a 12V light & battery cost?

Being on private property your light should be fine. It would seem that "marking a spot" would be state rules vs. Fed. In Mn you're issue would be closest to leaving private property on public water or leaving property unattended to occupy a blind for more than 3 hrs. Use of lights for setting up is not illegal, and the remote/timer issue is moot as long as you are not using it in the act of taking ducks. An officer trying to state such would have to be working REALLY hard to bust chops over that one as an violation of "used in taking game" rules.

I think it's ingenious.

A friend used to work for our state highway department. The reflector tape they have is phenomenal and light... sticks well to tree branches, twigs, reeds, etc. Put that every 5 feet and a flashlight shines like a run way. Not certain about it's commercial availability, we haven't run out of it in 20 years :)

Being on private property your light should be fine. It would seem that "marking a spot" would be state rules vs. Fed. In Mn you're issue would be closest to leaving private property on public water or leaving property unattended to occupy a blind for more than 3 hrs. Use of lights for setting up is not illegal, and the remote/timer issue is moot as long as you are not using it in the act of taking ducks. An officer trying to state such would have to be working REALLY hard to bust chops over that one as an violation of "used in taking game" rules.

I think it's ingenious.

A friend used to work for our state highway department. The reflector tape they have is phenomenal and light... sticks well to tree branches, twigs, reeds, etc. Put that every 5 feet and a flashlight shines like a run way. Not certain about it's commercial availability, we haven't run out of it in 20 years :)

Thanks Rob. This is what I was looking for. I know I wouldn't have any issues with using this in the taking of ducks, I was unsure of leaving property behind in a blind. Not so worried on the private land this will be used on shortly but if it ever went onto public land, I was wondering. I know I can leave decoys out the whole season on private but not on public and other rules change as well.

I have access to the really good retroreflective material material here at work - what is called Diamond Grade. Couple of reason I don't want to go this route is that my hands will be full and having to use a flashlight or spotlight would be difficult. I have a headlight I can and do wear on these jaunts but it would need to have a better spotlight to it verses the floodlight nature of the one I own.

Anyway, I had a blast making this thing. Trying to find a cheap 12V timer was a challenge. Found one on the web for about $5 but it came with Chinese "English" instructions. That was a hoot. Luckily I also found other info on the web on how to program and wire the darn thing. I'll have to post pictures someday. Maybe of it in operation.

Mark W

An officer trying to state such would have to be working REALLY hard to bust chops over that one as an violation of "used in taking game" rules.

This sounds right up Mark's alley...shall we start another "Mark W Legal Defense Fund" fundraiser?

An officer trying to state such would have to be working REALLY hard to bust chops over that one as an violation of "used in taking game" rules.

This sounds right up Mark's alley...shall we start another "Mark W Legal Defense Fund" fundraiser?

There was a fundraiser for the first and last time I got into a healthy discussion with the CO that ended up in court? I missed the check from DBHF.

That was an episode I don't want to go through again. Must be 6 years ago or so by now.

Mark W

Back