LI Decoy Collectors Show - Saturday, March 7, Hauppauge

Keith, I'll be in the side room. Have a bunch of used decoys I pick up from my gun business. Have reels and all kinds of hunting related items. Chris is my nephew, but we have the same gunning interest, he's also a accomplished saltwater fly tier and fisherman.
Was a tough gunning season, had back problem and didn't get out alot. Hoped to get up west and see John and the guys... Looking for a 19 Carolina Skiff for maybe some Old Squaw and Eider shooting.

Hi Steve,
I'll be at the show with my crew. Can't wait! Please add me to the list for a copy.

Thanks,
Tom

Mr Sandford
I love the pictures you posted and I will hopefully get a chance to see the film later at Jamie's. I worked(Taught school in Westbury) in 1972 and 1973 and literally treated the entire island like one big backyard hunting the north shore, south shore, Orient and Montauk points , Jamaica Bay, shot ducks on the Carmen river and mallards on the potato fields in central Suffolk County.
I particularly remember one hunt with the Dept of Interior Target Rock(north shore) wildlife Mgr. George Gage and we hunted on the Great South Bay around the Islips and witnessed around 25,000 scaup taking off from one large raft. I would not have known how many there were, but it was George's job to make population estimates for the Dept. of Interior. I remember the sound resembling that of a freight train with all those paddling feet hitting that water at once. I doubt I will ever be privileged to see such a sight again, but there was no doubt about the Greater Scaup being King back then.
Thanks for all your hard work in putting these pictures and film together.
Keith

Keith~

Great stories! I did not realize from Jamie's stories that you had spent time on Long Island - glad you had the opportunity back in the day.

And, I look forward to meeting you soon,

SJS

Steve
Yeah, both Bob Austin and I who hunted with Jamie at Syracuse Univ. spent two years living and hunting the Island. We have some wonderful memories of our waterfowling hunts there, especially on Jamaica Bay in the Inwood Country Club area under jets landing at Kennedy airport. Doubt if someone could even carry a gun in that area let alone shoot it in today's world!
Looking forward to meeting you as well! Always enjoy meeting a fellow decoy carver!
Keith

Guys, I love that first picture of the "Black Duck" if I am right, that was John Verbeke's dads boat. It used to be tied up in West Sayville down by the dock where the Co op was. I was up there last week, Bay was ice from one side to the other, got a couple of pictures of someone sailing their scooter off Patchogue and Bluepoint.I will try to post them tonight. Rich

Last edited:
Rich~

You are correct! The Black Duck first belonged to John Sr - but he gave it over to his son when John Jr was 14 - because he had proved himself by clamming on the bay in his own skiff for a couple of years by then. No wonder John Jr stayed on the water all his life.

All the best,

SJS

Steve,

It is so awesome that you and your collegues have collected and assembled this great waterfowling history. Thanks for doing it. Please put me on your list to purchase the DVD when it is available.

Jeff Churan
Chillicothe, MO
(660) 646-8180
jeffc@greenhills,net

Bob~

Funny you should ask. I just now added 4 or 5 "late-comers" to the Slide Show that will be shown Saturday - cycling continually on a 56-inch monitor in the "dining area". So, the Slide Show that is on the DVD has about 312 slides - but not these few - PLUS the 87-minute documentary.

Here's the sign I made earlier today to hawk the DVD on Saturday:

DVD%20for%20sale%20001_zpswdzvenrh.jpg

I understand you got a bit (foot?) of snow today. We were bone dry.

All the best,

SJS

I'm very excited to see what happened in my back yard in the good old days Steve.

Congrats in advance on a great job

At this point whats another 8" of snow LOL

Best
Bob

Last edited:
Anthony~

Glad you could save our bacon via "remote feed" today. We gave the crew just a taste of the film this afternoon - holding off the World Premiere until tomorrow as promised.

Everyone so far has liked the exhibit and appreciate all the work it represents. I will try to post a full report tomorrow night.

All the best,

SJS

Back