long line anchors

john townsend

I am getting ready to set up my long lines. This is going to be the first time for me to use longlines. I have got my lines, drops, and anchors. How should I attach my anchors? I read about using clips. Can I just tie the main anchors directly to line and clip the sash weight on the other end? What is the best knot to use? I appreciate any info on this subject. The weather might just make the second season great. I can hardly wait. Broadbill, chessie, and longlines. I better get busy, gotta be there. Thanks for any info that can help me .
John

Hog rings do wonders for securing knots. Check the sausage making section at Cabelas. Also avoid tying anchors on, rather use dog leash clips or something similar. Lastly, make sure your droppers are long enough for dogwork if that's in the picture. Good luck!

We use two loops of decoy line (loop formed by crimps) on each anchor and our longlines have dog leash clips on both ends. Easy to deploy and easy to store the rigging when not in use. We also use hose reels to reel in/out the main line. You will want about 3 foot droppers on your decoys to keep your swimming dog out of the rigging.

Good luck!!

Donivan

John,

I have either a rope or wire ring on my sash wts. and a long line clip on the end of my long lines. I use 1/4" stiff diamond braid long line and just feed the end through the eye of the clip and tie one overhand knot. Never have had one come untied. I use up to 10# mushroom anchors with this without a problem.

I like a ring on the sash weights, I use brazed copper ground wire to make the rings, and snap onto that with any type of brass or stainless snap.
The small mushroom type anchors usually already have a ring or eye you can readily snap on to.
Any good knot will hold your snaps, I'll use a bowline, anchor bend, or a quickie splice, depending on the type of line.

We put a Longline clip at each end of the decoy string. I attach that to a loop at the end of the anchor line. I put a Lobster Daub on my anchor line. This serves two porposes. I have a very strong tide to deal with, it keeps my decoys from getting sucked under, you dont have that problem. The 2nd reason I do it is saftey, if the anchor hangs up in the rocks I can detach it form the Longline without having to deal with decoys, I can let it go and come back with a different approach so I dont loose my anchor. My anchor lines are 1/4 nylon, to make a loop I either make an eye splice or do a double tuck.

Morning Cap, I think I know what your saying with the lobster buoy, Capt. Sig calls them a "diver"
If I read you right, your buoy "holds up" your anchor line, so that your trailing buoys, (decoys) sit properly, the "diver" takes the brunt of the tide.
Is the "diver" at the surface, or just below? I guess it depends on the strength of the tide, Thanks.

Back