LONG LINE CLIPS

SNL CORP.!!!!!!!!!!! Dont go anywhere else. Everytime somebody brings up Longline Snaps on this site. That's the answer. Keep away from any Duck Hunting supply. The keyword here is LONGLINE thats a fishing term not a duckhunting term we have merely adapted the commercial fishing technique to our needs

thanks Jack....maybe someone will now listen when they see it from someone who works the ocean commercially....

Steve

Thanks for the input guys. I asked the question because a few years ago I purchased these from Cabela's. Twenty percent of them broke in half despite being stainless. I tried the aforementioned New England Marine Supply in Portsmouth NH and they were fine except they were more pricey. And I did remember seeing them for less than half the price on this site. I wanted to make sure I was comparing apples to apples. I kind of conclude that I should just spend the higher price to ensure good ones.

As commentary, I agree with Steve that in Northern states with cold water, temps and the use of gloves, the 5 inch are the way to go. I bought the 3 inch years ago and found them impossible once the hands got cold. I believe I threw them all away. As for swivels: I have never tried without, but when tide shifts occur while hunting, I can imagine the tangles that would occur when the dekes shift 180 degrees to face in the opposite direction. So I'll pay the higher price at New England Supply.

You know what they say boat stands for: Break Out Another Thousand

Thanks guys, I'm much obliged.

Bill

Wasson, who taught me to longline, hated the swivels.....bought the big clips and then cut the swivels off.....he did that because he used the same line for both the dropper and his ground line and there wasn't a clip around with a swivel large enough to accept the dropper diameter......

I hunted with him a good bit, in tidal ranges as big, and bigger, than we get here....and in currents as strong as we get here, and never saw a tangle on the dropper to clip sans swivel........I attribute that the diameter and stiffness of the dropper.....Since MOST longliners use a smaller diameter dropper than the ground line I beleive that where you have tidal changes and current, you benefit from the swivel......(holds true everywhere except in the Land of Sunshine where you could longline with paper clips or potato bag chip clips and get the job done).....

Steve

By the way.....FOR THE LIFE OF ME.....I can't figure out why anyone in your area of operation would even be long lining in the first place....seriously where do you long line rig? I've hunted, and hunt, most of the weed choked and shallow, (relative of course), areas that you hunt in and I can't imagine longlining not being a nightmare in those areas......

Steve

IRL after the birds have been blasted off the shorerlines & spoil islands.

We rack'em on the open water in the Aquapods!!!

Some thing on Toho & some of the other impounded areas.

Since they nuked the hydrilla back, the longlines work great there also!!!

SNL CORP.!!!!!!!!!!! Dont go anywhere else. Everytime somebody brings up Longline Snaps on this site. That's the answer. Keep away from any Duck Hunting supply. The keyword here is LONGLINE thats a fishing term not a duckhunting term we have merely adapted the commercial fishing technique to our needs

Some will never learn Capt Jack!!!

I would bet most if not all the duck supply house buy from the commercial houses, slap a duck hunting label on it & sell it for twice what they bought them for. LOL

longlines being useful......IRL I've never hunted any area where a six foot line wasn't adequate......anything under 6 feet and I single line.......resting areas have obviously changed since I used to hunt them on the Indian and Banana Rivers and Sykes Creek.......(there ya go INTERNET SCOUTERS......incredible scouting information on clouds and rafts of birds offered up for free).......

Thanks for the clarification.......

Steve

You'll have to be a little more specific Steve. Normally you'll want to offer an exact bend or even a deadfall to park your boat under. Large landmarks like boulders, trees, communications towers etc are very helpful.

GPS coordinates too since it'll be dark when I arrive.

Holy crap...can't believe it's been over 20 years since I last hunted Toho. Bet it looks different if they've had some weed control. Should have met my Darwinian end on that lake since it didn't occur to a Wisconsin boy that wading around in chest-deep water placing decoys in the dark probably wasn't a good idea. At least it didn't seem like such a good idea after I saw the length of some of the reptiles in that lake. Long lines might have been a better idea.

Hey Bill,

New England Marine in Portsmouth, NH is about 3/4 mile off of I-95. Stop in and check the stuff out. Often times if you buy any sort of quanity they will give you a discount. Pick up some BLUE rubber gloves too if you are going sea ducking. Another reason to use the big clips because you WILL be wearing those gloves setting and picking up your rig.

Footnote: I personally overheard Sutton ask the clerk if he could special order the 10" clips.

All the best,

Bill Wasson

Thanks Steve, this question has been brought up over and over again on this site. SNL Corp. However you can get the same price and the same Longline snap from Atlantic and Gulf also a commercial fishing supply company out of Florida. Roughly $43.00 per 100 snaps with swivel. The tarred line I get from Gearworks right here in Riverhead LI. I use #120 tarred line for my mains with a dropper loop tied every 5'. I tie my stool on as short a lead a possible about 8", I do a tuck in my leads and tape all knots and tucks with friction tape, that helps elliminate snags and keeps everything together. I learned that trick from Zack Taylors book when I was a teenager some 40 years ago and I've done it ever since.

Last edited:
Jack,

Does'nt your dog get hung up on that short of a lead? I used to set my rig up similar to that but have went to a 36" to 40" lead so the dog can swim and the boat can go between the decoys and not get hung up on the line.

Haven't had that problem yet. I usually wait until the bird is clear of the rig before I send Gus. However ther has been plenty of times when he goes right over the top of the mainline. When you set up in the heavy tides here in Montauk. Long leads wont make any difference. The main line will be up on top anyway. The short leads makes removal of tangles a bit easier. A warm up is forcast, that means SW winds I might be able to go again. I'm getting tired of the geese.

One thing I don't recall mentioned is the water clarity and tint here in the Great Lakes region including St Clair often times. With water often crystal clear on a light colored bottom the lines and leads can show up from above very easily. I don't think most divers really give a hoot especially when trading low but we often work puddlers and geese to the same set-ups and I've often suspected that they see the lines etc and they shy away...not flare necessarily but maintain wariness. I've been converting a lot of my spread to long line rigs and I went to longer leads for this reason. Line color could also be addressed.

A giant clip would be a good trophy for some kind of contest...like who could put out and bring in the most blocks in a given time period. Like the "Long Line Olympics"...they'd put it on one of the Outdoor Channels. I'm thinking like a 3 foot clip sticking straight up...that'd be a neat conversation piece.

Bill...the last time I wore those blue gloves was in Alvin's boat. Have to get me some of those...haven't found anything as good in the inland.

Jay I've often thought about water clarity and the birds seeing the clips. I feel that black clips might work better but I've never seen one offered. A bunch of years ago, I used to do a lot of shows. I made friends with many of the Salmon guides from the Great Lakes. When the Zebra Mussels took hold all the did was complain about the water being too clear and they couldn't catch the fish. I couldn't understand that as a problem. I've been catching Tuna, that have eyes 100X the size of the biggest Salmon in water thats Gin clear with 200 pound test line. Ducks do have a different view of the water than fish, but they're still a simple amimal that is easily duped by a plastic duck. When I put out my strings of Eider and Scoter I don't feel they look anything like a raft of birds. Sometimes the tides brings them together and they get tangled up, but the birds still toll in and get themselves killed. I have to set them with the tide in a sraight line. What I do feel flares the birds is when the tide is raging and the stool plane up and leave a wake. I don't think its the snaps, but it could be, and I'm always looking for a better mouse trap.

I don't think the visibility of the line is that important, there's usually "stuff" in the water and if they flared to everything they could see underwater they'd never sit down, but it's easy enough to sorta camouflage your line, (see ,we all DO think about this stuff). If your line is a light color, coil it up and dip half the coil in net dip. The alternating light/dark bands hide the line surprisingly well. If your line is already tarred, your on your own,lol.

Back