Long Lines

brian tierno

Hello guys , october is not that far off and i was looking through my rig , and was interested in the recipe for tarring my own lies . I have been using 1/4 inch nylon that i dyed black . I have seen them for sale but I like to do things myself and will help cabin fever ! at least a little. thanks any input would be appreciated .

I have also been interested in doing the same thing. Any recipes or the process for how to actually do it other than dunking a wad of twine into some roofing tar would be great.

I have also been interested in doing the same thing. Any recipes or the process for how to actually do it other than dunking a wad of twine into some roofing tar would be great.

That's what I do but here's the process in a little more detail:
My main lines are 3/16 braided nylon from Wal Mart. I dip it in roofing tar cut with mineral spirits for better penetration. Just feed the line in (keeping the very end of it out of the bucket to avoid tangles), smash it around with a stick to coat it all, pull it out between your fingers to remove the excess, and drape it across some trees to dry and weather for a few weeks. The tar makes the lines stiff (easy to handle and tangle free). However it is a little tacky for the first season until it weathers a bit.

i made the mistake of buying tared line you have to be careful if the tide goes out and your where it's calm the line floats and it don't look good

Just a thought. I bought crab line (used for crab traps). It sinks and is available in dark colors. I got 300' for a great price. I bought it from "the rope dope". Frank ???. He had a run of rope that would randomly stop so I bought it. I think I have two knots in a 100' line. It is 3/8 thick. The quick clips work great. I used the orange cord reels and a window weight on one end and a pored bell anchor on the other.

The recipe:
Non-fibered foundation coat
Mineral spirits (paint thinner)

In a 5 gal. pail with cover, mix about 1 quart to 1/2 gal. foundation coat, with about a gallon of spirits.

The more asphalt you use the blacker the end result and slower dry time, if too thin the results are a "brown" color and won't stiffen the line as much. Start thin and check a piece of your line, you can add asphalt at any time..or thinners, just mix well. This dip will tar lines, nets, rusty implements, chains, traps, etc., makes a decent dark preservative wood stain. Does NOT make a good dessert topping!
Splashes and drops WILL stain clothing, leather boots and your hands permanently, well it washes off your hands eventually. It will dry overnight unless you go crazy with the asphalt..don't, no need.

If you want to camo your single decoy lines, loose coil the gold color nylon twine, and dip half the coil into the dip. You get a blackish brown and gold striped line that disappears in the water.

When your done dipping, cover the pail, it will last forever, you may need to add a little thinners if it lays around for a time to get the consistency you want back.

Commercial netcoat is the same stuff, just a lot more money and you get to pay shipping.

We all do stuff because of tradition and just to be able to mess with our 'stuff' in the off season. I build boats, carve a few decoys, reload shells, etc. but tarring lines will be the last thing I ever think of when it comes to messing with my 'stuff'. I just go out and buy 1/4" olive green, very stiff, diamond braid nylon line so I never have to think about tar, and this from a guy who always couldn't wait to boil up a vat of logwood extract and wax to do traps with. Have fun guys.

Thanks guys . I am not sure if i will mess with it . hey jack thats not the first or probably the last time we will be called crazy , 25 degrees snowing side ways, braving ice in the dark, to do what we "love" now that sounds crazy .....!! but i still cant wait till opening day .

I'd be the 1st to call myself crazy. Hey, I live in Monauk the End, I earn my living as a fisherman and a guide and I own a Chesapeake. It don't get any better than this.

Hey Brian,

I would recommend spending a little extra and go with a larger diameter...Marlin Line in 1/2 to 3/4"...The thicker line is easy to hand and getting tangled is almost flawless...

Regards,

Kristan

Currently i have 8 -150ft long lines on 3 cord reels and one reel holding 16 -25 ft anchor lines if i change to 1/2 or 3/4 line the space to store will be way to much and my long line clips wont accept that size line! that just wont work, but it would not tangle . i anchor my boat in the great south bay with 3/8 line?

Back