long trip with boat and trailer

Hi fellas, I never towed my boat farther than 3 hours... I have a trip coming up that would be 920 miles one way.. The trailer and boat are only 4 years old with less than 500 miles on it.. I have a spare tire, my question is should I get another spare??? Those litle tires will be doing alot of turns.. Any info on the subject would be apreciated.. Thank you..

Not sure if you have bearing buddies or not, but I would make sure the bearings have new grease. Also, use a strap across the stern in addition to your traditional stern tow straps while on the road.

Tim,I think you will be fine,make sure your bearings are in tip-top condition,you might want to take a extra set,or two of bearings and grease gun,I always carry it on long hauls,I always check my tires,and feel the wheels for heat at every fuel-up,If the extra spare tire doesnt eat up alot of room,take it,always a good piece of mind.If your out in the boondocks,might be the right thing,hope this helps Brian Rippelmeyer

Might want to bring a spare hub as well if that works with your trailer. I did a short road trip this past Saturday and brought the following:

Tire iron
Spare trailer tire
Jack and pieces of scrap wood
Grease gun
Plenty of straps

And I just went about 40 miles each way ha ha. Doesn't hurt to be over prepared.

Tim

You have gotten good advice and I'll ditto on getting a second spare as long as you have room for it. I like the extra piece of mind when it comes to long trips. Only once did I ever use both spares on the same trip but it sure was nice when I needed it.

If you have good tires, and a good spare you DO NOT need to get another...

If you need to use one you should be able to get it fixed, someplace down the line... Being prepaired is great... but if you need 2 spares... why not 10 spares???

My short trip is 55 miles.... to hunt... long trips are about 400 one way... bearings are good when I start... you can't prepair for everything... I do take the grease gun with me.

Tim,

Check and repack the bearings before the trip...if there are any questions about the race or bearings replace them.

If you are any dirt or back roads and in remote places then a second spare may be warranted. Years ago when traveling the back roads of the West where you could cut a tire up on rocks or other nasty things, carrying two spares was common. Darn it pisses one off when you have a flat 50 miles from the tar road in the middle of no where...and no %&^642937*^&%*&978U)()(%xx... spare that is functional.

Three years ago I had a flat and went to change it and the spare was flat, I was 60 miles from the tar near Challis Idaho....I was way pissed at the motor pool mechanics that serviced the USU fleet....Lucky... some guy came along in a Chevy Suburban and he loaned me a spare.....I could have sat there a very long time..

So that is my .05 pennys worth.

Matt

I'm going to have to disagree with Phil. I spend alot time hauling boats all over the US fishing in tournaments. I always carrry two spares and I've got 4 stories where I've used both spares. Carry two spares, a good jack, jack plate for muddy conditions, good wrench and bearing buddies.

Matt Smith

Thanks fellas I have a guy that is going to repack my bearings tomorrow and I will get another spare... Thank you all for the advice.....

Back