longline clips?

B Bond

While we're on the subject (seems like there are several threads devoted to long lines right now!

What is everyone's favorite long line clip? This will be mu first try at using longlines, and I'm looking for any help along the process. I'm thinking short one, 5 to 6 decoys per line.

I'll have a fairly small rig, around 20 diver decoys and about that many random puddlers. Not sure what the birds will want to see, but this is one way to find out!

I've got a lead on some lead core main line, and tarred line for droppers. And of course weights are easy to come by. Anything else yall can think of?

I agree, the 5" clips are my favorite.

I've used lighter 4" clips but they tend to get bent. I've also used heavier 6" clips but they seem like overkill (and harder to squeeze open if you end up unclipping decoys each day).

Make sure you get a commercial fishing grade clip. The Avery clips don't shut tight to the main line and can end up sliding. Also make sure that whatever main line you buy will fit into the gap in the clip.

Dont really need lead-core line for the mainline, just a good stiff twine.

I'm a fisheries grad student, and we have tons if rotted gill nets I can get the lead line from. I'll be hunting with a dog, so I figure why not. It's also really hard to tangle.

I hear yah.
WHere & what are you studying? Are you at VIMS?
I work quite a bit with the guys at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab down here. Its a great lab as well.

I graduated from Auburns Wildlife program. Do mostly coastal restoration related work these days.
Take a look at DISL for your Phd or pos-Doc. Great program and good duck hunting/fishing!

Back