Looking at building a boat

I am looking to build a nice boat that will kind of be a dual purpose boat. I want it to handle rough water and be able to get into a marsh. I looked at the cackler but I am not sure. Any insight would be great. I am fairly new to the sight and haven't posted much.

I see that you are about 2 hours away. If you are ever around the CT/NY border on 84, I'd be happy to show you my snowgoose. I think it really helps getting a look at the boats, I feel like you sould see at least one of some model of Devlin's boats before you build as a frame of reference.

T

Welcome aboard.

How many guys? Dog?
Are you looking for low profile?

Kevin,

I've had the good fortune of hunting out of four different Devlin designs Poleboat, BB2, BB3 and a Snow Goose and being around two others a Cackler and a Scaup. I love my BB3 and would recommend that except I don't know what you mean by "rough water". Out of all these boats there is one that I would build for what I presume are your conditions and that is the Snow Goose. Check it out or better yet, take Tod up on his offer and go for a ride. It's a good safe boat as are all of Devlin's designs and looks to be pretty straight forward to build. Good luck.

Thanks Tod, when I get closer to building I will take you up on the offer. I did look at some pics of the snowgoose. That boat looks real nice. If you don't mind me asking, what did it coast to make?

Thanks Tod, when I get closer to building I will take you up on the offer. I did look at some pics of the snowgoose. That boat looks real nice. If you don't mind me asking, what did it coast to make?

Snowgoose fits within what you said for number of hunters.

I have no idea what the actual cost was, I've forgotten. Couple-three grand? I think Devlin said that price of construction was $2400 at the time (10 years ago) and that covered the very basic boat and not wiring and hardware.

Thats great, I will keep in touch so when I am ready to build I will come out and take a look. What size motor do you have on yours?

Please do let me know when you want to go out for a spin.

I have a 40 on my snowgoose. If you want the boats to perform well, you really need to max out Devlin's specs. Of the folks here that own the boats and run them, there is almost 100% agreement that you need to max them out. There are 2 reasons the motors need to be as specified: 1) hull shape and 2) they are under rated as specified. The hulls have a decent amount of "V" and they ahve a fairly short planing surface, which makes them great duckboat hulls (ride very nose high at low and moderate speeds), but they need a lot of motor to get up and run on plane. Second, those of us that have done the USCG backyard boatbuilder hp calculations ourselves have found that Devlin under rates the hulls, so putting a smaller motor on one will really make it a dog - no sense having a custom boat and it be a slug.

My Snowgoose does 30 knots lightly loaded and always just over 20 with a very heavy load (even with 3 guys a dog and trashed prop). The BBIII can be close to underpowered with a 25hp, 2 guys and a dog, so you need all that he lists.

T

Back