Looking to buy new shotgun

Jeff Johnson

I'm in the market for a new multi-purpose shotgun and wondering if anyone has experience they would like to relate with the Winchester SX3? Also, would like information/opinions on Patternmaster chokes as well.

One of the crew shot one for the last 2 years. He had a problem with it cycling. Sent it back to be fixed ,same problem. He kept it very clean finally traded it in.

I have an SX2. It does not cycle below 20 degrees consistently. Other than that its great. I do not run mine clean... As for the patternmaster, ive got one of those too. I love it for late season whistler or geese. The tight pattern means I either kill the whistler or miss. If you have ever chased a crippled whisler you can appreciate that. The problem is that I usually switch to my SBE2 late season because...the SX2 doesn't want to cycle when its that cold. I have been considering the versamax, but after the recent failure of the 105cti I wanted to wait before jumping in with both feet on the new Remington VersaMax. Good Luck.

I was thinking of a VersaMax as well. I shot one this December , liked the fit and reduced recoil.

I got the Versamax when it came out a few years ago. Love it. The coldest I have ever used it was 10*. It performed well on that goose hunt laying out in a plowed field. Also put about 800 rounds through it pretty much non stop for a skeet shoot I hosted one summer. The temps that day were 95* with about 90% humidity (gets rough like that in south Louisiana in August)

As you can tell I really like it.

I've had an SX3 the past 7 years. It has never failed me even in temps as low as 10 degrees. I'm not religious about cleaning it but I do run Otis dry lube rather than an oil. This thing feels good and fits me well. You can't go wrong with one. I have buddies that shoot the versamax and they all love em. One guy never cleans his gun and I wonder how it goes boom at all, but it does. Best thing I can tell you is get to a store and shoulder as many as you can. The B guns with the exception of Browning feel very awkward and unswingable, but that's just me I'm sure. Get what feels great to you regardless of make and make sure it points where you're looking.

Just my opinion but I have a Beretta Xtrema and love it. I haven't had 1 problem with it in almost 10 years. I hunt salt water, all temps and various rounds. My brother had a Benelli SBE2 and liked it but sold it and bought the Beretta. Never shot the X3 but anyone I know who has had one has had problems with the gun at one time or another. Again, just my .02 I'm sure many people have had problems with Beretta.

Jeff I am a double gun guy and really prefer my Browning Cynergy but I have to agree with Matt I own both an SBE2 and a Berretta extreme. The Berretta is a work horse and has been good to 8 below and still cycled. It also has less kick, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I have been considering a Beretta A400 Xtreme for a while now, so the recommendations really help. My Benelli M1 works fine, and has served me well, but I want a new "Shoot Gun". A work horse that does not beat the hell outta me, is what I'm lookin' for. Must be a part of being "Older". Ha!

I have had a Beretta 390 for almost 20 years, very happy with it's performance, including sub-zero duck hunts. I have used it for sporting clays, trap and hunting, put lots of shells though this gun. The gun is getting pretty beat up, but I can't find a reason to replace it . . .

I have shot benelli's for years( M-2 and SBE 1 &2)

Last fall I bought an extrema and love it, lots of round down the pipe last winter and not a problem with it, I think it fits me better than the Benelli , for me I feel that I shoot it much better than the Benelli.

Just my 2 cents worth. go play with them all and see what fits you the best.

The shotgun question is always a loaded one (no pun intended). Kind of like are you a Ford guy or a Dodge guy. Everyone has there brands for what ever reason. I'm a Remington guys and love my Versa-Max, does everything I want it to. But, as a non-Remington second, I thought long and hard about the Winchester SX3. If I buy a send shotgun, it will be the SX3. The one thing I really like about it is the lightness! It shoulders very nice for me and is very comfortable. Anytime I'm asked about buying a new shotgun I tell that person the best thing to do is to go to a gun store and shoulder as many shotguns as you can and not just once. Never let the guy behind the counter "sell" you a shotgun. For an all purpose shotgun I would think you would want to be able to shoot up to 3.5, even if you never do, who knows when you might decide too. Some kind of protective dip, be it camo or just black will protect your shotgun from the weather much more effectively, but as I tell my son, you still have to clean it! If you're going to be doing a lot of walking then weight might make a difference for you. Just a few ideas. So for me my first choice is 1. Remington Versa-Max and 2. Winchester SX3. Keep us posted on what you decide and best of luck!

Last edited:
I have used the Beretta Extrema for a number of years, problem free. Decided to upgrade to the Beretta Extreme this year and like it better than my first.With a 28inch barrel and adjustable length of pull it swings and handles very well. Handles light thu heavy loads without any hiccups.Expensive but, good shotgun.

Back