Lowe Angler Series?

Carl

Staff member
I've been dreaming of when I can get my new boat next year.
Been checking out the Lowe boats. Anyone have any opinions on the Lowe 1667WT? Rarely ever see semi-V hulls down here but I am thinking that since I hunt a lot of open water and do a lot of fishing, this might be the boat for me.
My concerns are:
1. Stability, need to be stable enough for 2 guys to stand up & shoot a/o fish. How stable are these compared to a 1648 mv jon?
2. Draft, I hunt open water but it is shallow water. I need to be able to motor in less then 1.5' on shallow tilt and pole/pull the boat into ankle deep.
3. Capacity, needs to be able to handle 2 guys, gear, blind and 6-9 dzn dekes. Occasionally 3 guys hunting but that would be rare.
Any comments or advice on this or any similar hull would be appreciated!
[inline Lowe1667WT.jpg ]

View attachment Lowe1667WT.jpg
View attachment Lowe1667WT.jpg

I would love to build but I don't have a suitable area (shed, level spot or otherwise). If I did, it would probably be a cackler or snowgoose.

Carl,

I own a Lowe 1648 mod-Vee and I love it. It's very safe to hunt and fish from and only drafts about 7" of water. I'd imagine a wider boat would be more stable and safer than a 48" boat. The best thing to do is find a dealer that will set up a test drive/demo at a lake and go drive it.

Here is my 1648 with my homemade pop-up blind.

[inline 071.jpg]

Good luck,

Dave

View attachment 071.JPG
View attachment 071.JPG

Then again, it really is an amazingly great time to buy a boat...

I don't know about you guys... but our customers just told us to expect 20-25% less sales this year - and have a nice day...

A famous duckboats.net poster here who drove the Snowgoose said it was better than his Lowe (or maybe he said Lund, I forget) in the waves...

Thanks, Andrew

Problem is that semiVs are special order down here. Its weird, I've only seen about 10 on the water since I've been down here. So talking him into ordering once just for me to test drive is gonna be tough!

I'd rather have that in bigger water but for skinny water it's going to be tough to beat a flat or mod v. Stable when sitting still goes to the flat and mod v too. Big waves and running distances over smaller waves the V wins bigtime, it won't slap your back into excruciating pain. The Lund 16' Rebel, I think, Is a pretty darn nice all around. It's wide,quick planing, has tall sides and is tough as nails. Just another thought of something I have actually been in.Gary G from the site has..or had one.

Carl -

A number of years ago I needed to put together a cost effective inshore fishing rig and was very happy with a 17' carolina skiff. I offset the console and only used a 30hp but with a load you might use a 40. The boats are very strong and stable and I imagine they would take a paint job and then a blind. The only downside is running into a head sea where you have to slow down or make an appointment with your DDS.

These boats are very resonable and can be purchased like a kit and you mount the seats, console and deck - after 9 seasons I got my money back when I sold it.

sarge

Carl,This may be another way to approach your final decision. If you are running in shallow water why not look at a surface drive motor,mudbuddy,godevil,prodrive,etc. No water pump or prop problems. The trick as i understand it is to match the motor to the hull for best results. Just a thought,Bill.

Just cant bring myself to spend that kind of money on one plus I dont like the weight. Once I get in the shallow stuff, I can walk around, so I dont really need one that runs surface drive shallow.

I've ridden in some carolina skiffs. Nice boats & highly modular. But I've never liked the ride.

And the boy is here and I'm showing him the Lowe.
My wife walks in & looks over my shoulder and says is that the boat you want? Yes, I say. Can it hold all 4 of us? Yep, I respond.
And she says "WELL, WAIT TIL NEXT SPRING (April 2010) AND WE'LL GET IT".
I about fell out of my chair. Even after I told her it would be about $6,000.00 for boat, motor and trailer, she said "We just need to wait until next spring after I finish grad school".
Aint that some SH*%????????
Does it get any better than that??????????
How in the world am I going to sleep for the next year?????????

Hey Carl,
That is funny! And glad you are in line for a new boat!
Going along with BBallard's post about a new boat, my big purchase discussions/decisions have always been kind of anti-climactic. I guess I spent a lot of time running it through in my head, and researching it, and the big decision (for the both of you) comes when you least expect it.
I would throw in my 2 cents for a Yamaha outboard. Get Electric start if you can, it is great. My opinions about Mercs are outdated, and I am sure they make a great product now.

The Yamaha outboard dealer in our region has been working overtime! I went to the Atlantic City boat show yesterday and have never seen so many Yamahas on boats! Of course, Merc is the house brand for about 1/2 of the boats made these days (Brunswick is quite a corp), but Yamaha's marketing dept. has definitely been working overtime.

The huge Viking exhibit was replaced with the "Affordability Paviliion". Kind of felt like a used car lot at the "BIG show"...

Last edited:
I'm hoping that I can use my 18 Nissan, it has been a great motor and I hate to sell it. The Lowe is rated for 20 hp & specifies a 20" transom, maybe they have an option for a 15". There are some other similar boats with a 15" but I really like the layout of the Lowe. I am hoping I can get an extension for my Nissan so it will fit a 20" transom, if not Yamaha is really the only other motor I am interested in. Electric start is a must. My NIssan has it & it is great.

Carl,
I've owned several Lowe jon boats in the past and my main hunting podnuh runs a 1984 olympic jon made by lowe that he has beaten the crap out of. So in the jon boats I believe the quality is there. Don't know for sure about the V's. I once owned a starcraft V that was great. It was tough as nails and didn't draw a lot of water either. Don't think you will go wrong with a v as it will ride better and be drier too.
JMO,
Harry
PS Life will improve in many ways when she finishes grad school.

"PS Life will improve in many ways when she finishes grad school."

Oh, dont I know it! I keep telling myself to keep my eyes on the light at the end of the tunnel, we'll get there, one more year!
It will be nice when she goes back to work and makes more $$ than me!

How much water do you think you Starcraft drew? My 1440 mv jon draws about 6-8" depending on how its loaded. I can put around on shallow tilt in right at ~12-14"

Carl

I have a 1991 ProV-16 by Lowe. It is the same hull as shown in your pic. Mine was rigged for bass fishing (decks, console, storage etc.). I have a 60 Johnson on it. Painted it Parker's Bay Gray. I have taken it out on the ocean for stripers and got caught up in a good blow. I have to say, that little 16' handled the rough seas very well. My one complaint is that it is only rated for 550#. Load up your duck gear and two moderately big guys and you are over. I suspect that without the bass stuff as shown in your pic, the weight rating would rise fast. Rugged boat for sure.

Bill

How much do you think it draft (just floating, not running)? I imagine a good bit more than the 1667WT, but that would give me an idea.
The 1667WT is rated for 735lb / 333kg. That should be plenty for me. But it is only rated for a 20hp, so you got me on speed.

Back