Lowe Jumbo 16 V??

Carl

Staff member
Found a Lowe Jumbo 16 V with trailer for $800.00 (no motor).
Seem like a good buy.
Anyone have any experience with this hull???
I dont like the fact it has a center bench but for $800.00 I think I could live with it, maybe modify later to make it walkthrough.
Any advice?
Thanks!

No experience with that one but you are right about the trailer.
Might get a few bucks selling it but it looks like a project.
As for the hull I believe you could cut it down for your motor and cover the cut with AL channel. I dont know about 800. Seems like room for a little dickering.
I hunted out of a very similar hull for the first three years. It always kept us safe and we hunted hard. Even better with a setup like Scott F built to keep the passengers near the center of the boat.

Bob

The nice thing about opinions is that we all have one and you get to ignore the ones you don't like. I too have no experience with that hull but she looks like a nice one to me. Wide at the waterline in the stern for stability and shallow draft. I like a 20" transom for big water, like you will use it in and if you cut it down, you will loose that wonderful splash well.

I can't make out the bow in this shot to tell if she's a wide for cargo or sharp for cutting thru the rough stuff. I assume you can check out the wood in the transom and that the area where the transom meets the hull is clean and in great shape. When I was looking at used hulls this area and the supports to the seats generally showed distress first. Removing or cutting back the center seat and installing a floor with [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]flotation[/font] may make her a bit more duck hunter friendly but I'd wait a year and see if the bench really does get in the way.

I don't ever remember what your other trailer looks like but I would only swap trailers if the hull support was at least as good or if this trailer was really rotten in the rusty areas. I would make sure you end up with the best hubs, wheels and tires but make sure the hull is supported well by what ever trailer you choice to hang on to. I lost my first 14" hull to a poor trailer so I may be over sensitized.

Best!

Scott

Carl,

Personally, I'm against making mods such as removing bench seat and altering transoms. Most manufactures do not over build their boats. If one starts cutting away what is there, even while replacing it in another fashion, who is to say that what you are left with, has the same structural integrity as what was engineered into it in the beginning.

Before cutting out a section of the stern you must ask yourself several questions. How is the top cap made? Is it structural or just cosmetic? How wide is the transom board? How much will be left after removing 5 inches? Is there room to replace it with a different board of sufficient width? Where are the gussets if any?

I'm not saying that mods are not possible, just that each one needs plenty of thought put into it before getting out the tools. :>)

A) If you plan on using it with a good sized load in any type of water other than maybe a pond, small lake or shallow marsh I wouldn't mess with the benches unless you have a well thought out way of stabilizing the boat with something else. The benches in a boat that size are structural and lend quite a bit of integrity to the overall stability of the design.

B) $800 seems a little steep to me...definitely work that price or walk. I've noticed that with this economy all kinds of folks are dumping boats, trucks, motorcycles etc and the asking prices are stupid. You should be able to find dozens of boat like that or very similar for less. I'm not looking so maybe I'm wrong.

This is what I'd do. Buy yourself a little boat...jon, semi or vee...whatever. See what you do and don't like about it and then go from there. You aren't going to lose your ass on anything less than a $1000..if you paint it you may even make a profit. Just buy a dang boat and stop worrying about the minute details, you'll feel a lot better. Take 5 or 6 $100 bills over to the guy and put them on the middle bench of the boat and stare at them for a few minutes...maybe eat an apple and chew it real slow. Tell him this is all you got. He'll bite....I guarantee!

Jay, Already have a 1440 modv, been hunting it since 1997 and with my boy now hunting with me, its time for somethign a little bigger.
Plus I am hunting larger water these days and would like to have a semiV versus a mod V.
My plan was to taKe $500 cash with me and see if he bites.

Here is what I would do with the bench, not remove it completely, but make it "walk thru", like the Lund SSV seats.
I would not completely cut out the center section and would reinforce it with a section of 3/4 marine plywood along the base & sides of the cut out.
When I add the floor, I would bring it up too the same level as the cutout.

[inline benchcutout.JPG ]

View attachment benchcutout.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice.
I definately dont want to cut the transom. I dont think my 18 will push this hull anyway. The plan would be to sell my current rig & get a used 25 or 30 long shaft.

Carl,
That mid seat like most of that type of boat serves as a structural support. I had a 14' starcraft years ago that the seat was broken on so I removed it and quickly found out that the boat would twist while underway at any speed with two people in the boat, I attached to 14' long juniper boards to the sides to stiffen the hull and it worked out fine Don't know if that would work with your boat. I agree that those middle seats get in the way. I would like to take the mid seat of my 14' jon but am afraid to do it because it is so involved with structural integrity. Looks to me like you made a great deal and I supect you will enjoy that boat for years.
best,
Harry

Thanks for the insight.

No deal yet, still negotiating with the "boss", since money is tight right now!

Money is tight everywhere Bubba. Lots of boats on the market now for cheap. I had even thought about(only briefly) selling my Grady White but I've decided to give things another year.

If I run across a rig like that for $800, I might would borrow from my pension fund. Only trouble is my 15 Yammie might be too small and my 200 E-tec is way too big haha.
hope you can swing the deal,
Harry

Back