Lund Alaskan Wood Rotting issues

Picture of a 2002 lund alaskan 20 cener console after floor is pulled up.
lundalaskan.jpg

main section of floor 3/16 alum treadbrite one piece riveted and screwed to stringers, i did not install hatch in rear just cut to first support so battery can come out and get to bilge. i thought the rear floor hatch sucked the direction it opened and was worthless.
AlumFloor.jpg

i find it crazy that my lowest quote just for the transom was 3500 and higest around 5k...the whole boat costs about 1000 for the floor and gunbox tops and the transom repair.

Labor is probably the largest portion in your estimates followed other expensive and then materials.....When I bid, labor is 1/2 or more.

Just to hire someone also becomes a nightmare with taking the salary offered and multiplying it by 2-3 or so... insurance, workman's comp....and so on and so forth...then the bosses cut....

At least that is about how it seems to work out if I hire someone...

Just in the transom i had close to 175 in material...marina labor is at 50 a hour. Hourly wage of 15 add benefits/work com etc. I estimated 20 hours will complete the work so you have 1000 in hourly rates, overhead is 25 % so add on another 250,profit 25% thats another 250. 175+1000+500 = $1675 fair and honest price, 3500 rip off and 5000 they didnt want to do it but if i took it major payday.

Last edited:
On my '93 1600 Explorer I've replaced lots of wood including the floor but this is the boat that was smashed by a tree and the floor was destroyed. When I pulled it out it didn't look bad to me. Carpet sucks so when I replace the rest of the wood this summer I'm going without any carpet. When the weather gets a little better I'm going to coat the non-skid on all of it but I wish I'd had done the floor with metal instead of wood. I've noticed that it seems a little stern heavy so I'm thinking my transom is shot with water too. I'll have to check that out...yay.

I worked at a place in Indiana one summer that cut plywood for all the boat and RV manufacturers within 100 miles or so and I can promise you that a lot of it is junk. And there are a lot of boat companies in the area.

Last edited:
One odd thing about bidding/estimates -- I used to work as an electrician for a small company back in the 90's and I did some of the bidding. You took your take off estimate from the supplier, added all the other goodies and labor and came up with a price. Someone would beat the pants of from you on occasion and the question was..."How can they do it for that price? Heck it is darn near the take off price..."

When I open bids on all of our contracts ranging from 20k jobs to 10 million a lot of time you will see bidder #1 and bidder #2 a huge difference then we go back through the propols make sure its apples to aplles before we award the contract to begin construction. Its our fear that they missed something .

How many estimators sleep at night when you beat your competitor by 280k and then find out you forgot the 2nd floor electrical pkg at 5 percent margin your in deep

Well I guess you give them a few extension cords and a few drop lights...and run...HAHAHAHA!!

I have not worked in the construction field since 99..

Go to www.greatbasinenvtl.com that is what I do now.

Back