Lyme in Northern Ny

Kevin B

A friends lab just had to be put down due to it's advanced stage. The dog never left the St Lawerence valley,so it's here.Time to vacinate the dogs.

Every year my dog comes back loaded with ticks.The same area= Dexter/Watertown. This year I will be ready and treat prior to going. Dan

Every year my dog comes back loaded with ticks.The same area= Dexter/Watertown. This year I will be ready and treat prior to going. Dan
I think I might get a set of permethrin treated camo. I used the spray on my clothes last year and it was effective.

Guys, Don't fool around with that crap. I hunt NW Wisconsin at least a couple times a year and I don't think the ticks are any worse anywhere. Even if you or your dog doesn't get Lymes there are some new tick born diseases that are just as bad. I know several people that have contracted Lymes and it really is NO FUN. I wish we could be vacinated too. Permathin (sp) is good stuff on your clothes and I have had very good luck with Frontline on the dogs. Some dogs have reacted to Frontline but so far I have not had any trouble. Good Luck and have fun out there. PS Tick check every night

I grew up near Lyme CT where the disease was first recognized and were the ticks are quite thick. I survived 18 years in the region without contracting lyme disease. The most valuable thing you can do is to check yourself over very carefully when you get out of the woods/marsh then shower as soon as you get home. I've lived in central VT for the last 9 years and ticks are just now creeping into the hills of my home. I used frontline for a while on my two dogs but continued to pickup ticks in the Champlain Valley, eventually leading to a positive lyme test for my spaniel.
I tried using the Scalbador collar which contains premtherine (sp?). My lab was OK with it, but my spaniel had a terrible reaction to the collar. My vet later acknowledged that 3 dogs of the 20 he had sold collars to had serious reactions to Scalbador. I now use a different tick collar (Advantick I think?) and will be applying frontline next week as I head to the fields more often for the start of goose season. My hope is that the double up of protection will prevent a re-infection of lyme on my spaniel.

There is no shortage of Lyme disease infected ticks in this area and Long Point on Lake Erie is infested with them. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease during duck season a couple of years ago and was lucky to catch it very early and effectively deal with it. Whatever you can do to protect yourself and your dog is a must.

I was shocked to read the numbers on heartworm infected dogs in Ontario recently. It is a shame when you consider that it is largely preventable. Lyme disease is much the same.

Last season was the worse for tick's down in the valley. I'm thinking this year will be the same with the mild winter we just had.I just mowed 15 acres and was tick free but it is still August. Hopefully we get a badassed winter with some 30 below.

I have both my hunters vaccinated against it and if I could get it for myself I would. Lots of ticks every spring here in the UP. Mostly wood ticks but a few deer ticks show up as well.

Back