March "What's on your Workbench?"

Guys, at this point my work bench is tied up in something non decoy related.....bottle boats. Several years ago, I started making message in a bottle boats for my various nieces and nephews. They would put a message in the bottle, launch it somewhere and wait for an answer. Some got answers, some didn't. Then a couple of weeks ago, I sent 3 boats to my sister to display in her store on Tilghman Island and some lady from St Micheals with an upscale gift shop "boutique" saw them and asked her if she could get " a couple dozen of these things?" So now I'm on the hook for a bunch of them. I will probably get burned out on making them long before I make a couple of dozen, but I will make her at least a dozen or so.

The hull is made from scrap 2x10's with scrap pieces of cedar cut offs from decoy making as the house. I use a skinny piece of pine chopped with a hatchet for the keel, and the bottle is a snapps minature. The string is decoy string.

2z811uc.jpg

That is awesome sean!!! Besides painting - what do you have left to do on it? the body looks really nice and the head is cool too!

Last edited:
Love the lines on the O/S Sean Looks killer.

Sanding today....here the rough sanded bird. Now time for some feather layout and carving.

George, there's been a considerable uptick in the number of nights we've made frozen fuzzy navels in the Bourbon house recently!

John

Finished up some funky high head pintails. Not crazy about the proportions , but they looked good when I drew out the pattern. And some mini pintails and a pair of g/w slick birds. All oil and cedar.

DSC02596.jpg

Sean if you don't like those pintails just send them here and I'll keep 'em out of your view. :) They look nice to me.

Wow, lots of great work this month again. Love this thread every month.

Tim

Back