Marina's / Boat yards/ Motor sales ?

Ed Auman

I did a search but didnt find it.. Where do you guys recommend to buy a small outboard motor from? I think I rememeber reading about a place in NJ? can't remember.. Looking 6 to 9.9 hp. 2 stroke.. most likely any preferd Marina's? Looking for the lowest prices I can find ..hahaha Thanks again Ed

Last edited:
Jim,
I did not know that, I thought a 2 stroke would be lighter in weight and maybe cheaper? I had Suzuki 6 hp that was a great little motor, I never should have parted with it. thanks Ed

Ed
Some small inventories are still out there but getting harder to find.
The small motors are having a hard time meeting the emissions tiers.
Evinrude ETEC is down to 25 hp but they are new this year. A year in the field would be good for the dealers to get a grip on how they work.
Im not sure about the Tahatsu.
We don't service outboards, but see and use tons of them.
I like the small Yamahas, but you have to find one in 2 stroke.
I still cant get used to a 9.9 4 stroker that weighs as much as my 25.
Check the National Fisherman or Commercial Fisheries News for the best price.
Fine if you can service the thing yourself,
otherwise pay a little more for the local guy who everybody uses and get him a nice New Years and Birthday gift so he will bump some summer guy for your hunting season emergency requirements.

Hi Ed,
I have been happy with this dealer:

http://www.iboats.com/sites/springgarden/

They are located in Millville NJ (Southern part of the state by Vineland)
You can check their inventory on line as well.
Nice people.

The dealer Dave Clark mentions sounds pretty good as well.

Good luck.
Dave

Hey Ed, something to think about as far as buying outboard...I bought my 40hp ETEC from Shorts Marine in Delaware. I happened through luck to call them during the Ocean City Md boat show when they were running a boat show special. As a result, I saved $1300 over the best price I had found here in Vt AND thats not including the fact Delaware has no sales tax. (that was another $300 saved)

My point is, boat show season on the east coast is almost upon us. If you can wait a little bit and call the various dealers during the show, you could save some considerable change.

Ed, I just bought a 9.8 Merc from Bass Pro Bass Shop, they beat everyone elses price. It's a four stroke, It was $1899 out the door...John

Thank you Gents!
I'm not ready to buy.. It will be a while, But I love to check things out beforehand. Tire kicker!

Jim D, I was not aware of this.. thanks... Snowmobiles next?

Bob B, Where do you work? Sounds like you might work with inboards and outdrives?

David, Thanks I'll ask Jim O about this place.

Quade, I think thats the one I was looking for.Have you linked it here before? Thank you.

John B, Your right Boat show season is right around the corner. good point.

John Van, Thats a good price! I want to stay under 10 hp I think because more and more lakes in Maine are going 10hp or less on their waters. When are we going Shnook or Tarpon fishing? lol

I had very good luck with my 2 stroke 6 hp Suzuki motor It fired right up second pull everytime, sit all year second pull bam... I noticed in the Islands on vaca,, They were all running Yammies.. Thanks again guys Ed

Ed's marine in virginia still has some, I just checked for you. You better not be kicking tires too long if you want one. I don't see this type of motor being around much longer. On the other hand, if you own one you can probably keep it running for 25 years if you just use it for duck hunting(that's what I plan to do with my 9.9 Merc).

Happy New Year Ed,

Try e-Bay. There is an outfit that has motors for auction that also sells them outright. I can't remember the name (my memory is getting about as long as my protruberance) that will sell you a new Yamaha 2 stroke at a very reasonable price. I purchased a 15 Yammie 2 stoke from them a year and !/2 ago and have been very pleased. It is my first Jap motor and it's a good one so far (burns less gas than my buddie's 4 stroke Merc 9.9 hp). If he stills gets customers by running auctions on e-Bay you should be able to find him.

Best,
Harry

I checked into the two stroke small motors. My local guys is one of the largest Yamaha dealers. He says they are still making him. He has a lot in stock, 9.9, 15, 25 etc. He says he orders 25 of them at a time... Cedar Creek Marina Milford Delaware. Ron or Marvin. I got an 8 hp 2 stoke from them.

If you need a 2 stroke OB I have a couple new in the box 8 & 15 Yamahas in stock and the prices are very good on some of the last years program engines. The small 2 stroke tillars are going away this year.

NO MORE SMALL 2 STROKES , ANYBODY THAT HAS WEIGHT SENSITIVE BOATS NEED TO HURRY, IM GLAD I GOT MY 8HP FROM YOU GREG WHILE I STILL COULD.

THANKS,

Back