Marsh Rat VS. Fatboy DP

Nick B

I cannot make my mind up on which on of these two Marsh boats to get! They both seem great, but where I live I have not seen either of them in person! I hate to buy something without ever seeing It first! Comments on on the your preference would be helpful! Thanks

Nick,

The Fatboy DP is the better boat, period. I own a Fatboy and love it. Ira makes a quality boat and will bend over backwards in the customer service department. You will not be disappointed with a MoMarsh boat. Not to mention you can put a motor on the DP and blind doors or use it as a layout boat. If you search the old posts you'll find nothing but good comments on Ira's boats. He's also a member here so you could always find him if you have questions.

Nothing but great things to say about the Fatboy DP plus Ira is great to deal with.

Best
Bob

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
They both seem great, but where I live I have not seen either of them in person!
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, gee whiz Nick, might help if you would disclose your location in your profile. You might be pleasantly surprised to find out there are a lot of folks owning these boats all across the country. Might even be some one right around your back door. But it is kind of hard to offer you a look if we don't know if you are 30 miles away or 3000 miles away.

Sorry if I seem harsh but a little more info would help us help you.
[/font]

Nick, The one thing that I would add is that the Marsh Rat is available as a poly boat. I have the old style Fatboy and I love it but you have to be careful around rocks , poly bounces / drags much better. Both are good boats.

Nick,

If I hadn't just sold my Fatboy I would have met you to let you have a look. I'm originally from Niles. Anyway, loved my FB but wanted to free up some money for something else. Great boat and supper stable. My only complaint is that it was heavier than advertised.

Ryan

My Marsh Rat is good for loading on the tender sideways and strapping down. It is short enough to do so. It is easy to load and unload on tenders also. It certainly is not for rough or big water. It moves good with a motor. Not so good with a paddle. You don't want chase a crippled bird with it. The cripple will win.

Ryan, I did see your post for the FB but I didnt have any cash at the time or I would have been all over it! I have a Lund Alaskan and I dont think the fb would be easy to get in and out of! the rat seems and sounds to be a little better for that! I would like to buy both! ha

Nick , like ryan said, I sold mine too, not a year ago. Great boat loved it. I just don't paddle anymore. As for loading on lund it would be heavier than the rat but I think you could tow the fatboy. I'm guessing you want to use it for marshes and layout on Resivoirs. I recall a old post from maybe Steve Sutton suggesting that would not be a good choice for layout shooting. I could be mistaken, try a search here on the marsh rat. That old guy Hunt'in Dave is smucking fart ain't he?
Your Lund for sale ? I seen one listed in poland and was going to check it out for tender boat.

Gene

I have a Fatboy DP, had an original before that.
I havent gotten to use the DP for Layout gunning yet.....

But, they both ran well with a paddle or a 3 hp outboard. There are days I leave the bigger boat home, and take just the Fatboy. It is heavier than a Rat. It is also way more stable and will haul a bigger load.It is bulkier than a Rat. Think it sits about the same height.The Fatboy tows well.......
Fiberglass is easier to fix than poly when it gets damaged......

I know EXACTLY what Steve Sutton will say about the rat........... using one of his Fatboys years ago is why I bought mine from a member of this site........

Thanks for all the info guys! I was going to through it in the lund on this lake that I hunt to haul it to some backwaters connected to the lake! I have a Busick that I layout hunt in and its still working great! The Lund isnt for sale, but if you have the cash to get one, get it! I love mine and doubt I will ever get rid of it! (unless of course I hit the lottery and can buy a $25,000 duck Water) Im sure the Lund will be around long after I will! You guys from the area, we need to hook up and shoot some birds someday! Thanks again Guys! (you to HuntinDave)

Never had a FB but hear only good. I have a Plastic Marsh Rat and have nothing but good things to say about it. I slide my marsh rat in and out of the back of the truck and launch it on some marshes, lakes and rivers where there are no ramps. Lots of rocks, so I like the plastic boat. I bought a Mallard Marine Nat Gear blind for mine and it works great. Last summer I did a lot of bass fishing out of it on a river and some lakes. Worked great, very stable, paddles easy with just me, put a 75# dog in it and it does not paddle as nice.

Nick

I don't own a momarsh but I do own a four river's layout boat (13'6"), marsh rat and a dw17. If you are always going to use a tender boat, I would go with the marsh rat. My four river's is too heavy to load in and out of the tender boat, but tow's well. I use my four river's in places where I don't have a boat launch for the dw17, but I do have beach access where I can drag the four river's boat down a beach (not far) and put a 5hp motor on.
I would not want to paddle my marsh rat very far but if I have to drag a boat I want it too be the marsh rat. I do feel much safer in rough water in the four river's boat. These boats in my mind have two different methods of gaining marsh access but both work well when you get there.
Cockpitsize is also very important. Are you going to hunt out of the boat or are you just using the boat to get to where you want to hunt? I use my marsh to get somewhere but will hunt out of my four river's with a dog.

Back