Merrymeeting Bay Gunning Float

frank middleton

I'm very close to a new build for myself. Title says it all.

But first I'd like to ask all who have these boats for some information. Basically I'd like pm's of phone numbers so I can talk to each of you about sculling performance, gear and passengers aboard, how many boats you've used and how many oars you've experienced. What you would like differently, You're heights, What motor you use. How much each season you scull vs blinding up and hunt with decoys, etc.
I'm going to do this in the time honored tradition of making the boat to suit my needs much like was done around the Bay for years.
I currently have a mmbgf but there are some things I would like to change or obviously I wouldn't be doing this. I would just like some more input. Also any of you who have these boats in close proximity to mid coast Maine I'd like to trouble you for lines( I just want to get a sense of deadrise, length, beam, turn of bilge etc by eye) and maybe even a quick dip and a scull if you're up to it.

Thanks for any help you feel like taking the time to offer.

Nice project. You going cedar strip?
Our Brant II & Brant II-X trace their lineage to the Merrymeeting Bay sculler. The scull boat is the reason I bought the company: www.lockstockbarrell.com
You can click on those scullers on my website for our boats. I've sculled lots of floats and the Merrymeeting Bay style is my favorite.
My buddy, Gene, drew up the plans, built plugs & molds for his original sculler (Brant I & Brant II) based upon the Tod sculler after Tod had stopped manufacturing them.
Chuck Brownwell & Gene designed our oar and that's the design we use today and we laminate up our own. I can post pics and dimensions if you'd like
Let me know how I can help.
Lou

Lou, thanks for the quick response. Always have enjoyed see you post up projects here.

Yeah strip built...Pine is the wood of choice for the Maine built boats and that is one area where I might deviate. I'm a big fan of juniper for its resistance to rot and apparently white oak is scarce in Maine according to the fellows I've been working with at Artisan Boatworks.

I'll definitely take a look at you scullers and may ask a few more questions.
Thanks.

Frank:

If you don't still have my email, send a pm and I'll resend it.

My boat is in Manchester. I regret to say I've not yet learned to scull, so I can't speak to its performance.

Mine is big--long and beamy--compared to others I've seen. It's definitely a 2 man boat, and for transport only can hold three.

I push my boat with a 3.5 hp 2 stroke, with which I can get about 6 mph. I don't think a larger motor would drive it any quicker than that. I'd really like to replace that with a quieter electric motor, but not sure I want to mess with hauling marine batteries around. My boat also rows very nicely.

Frank, there are generally a bunch of both old and relatively recent scullers on display at the Merrymeeting DU event.

It's August 17 this year in Gardiner--more info posted over here: http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=232455&sid=1e0253a4b5100a10cdc30a354f425cb0d

Most years there are several of Buster Prout's boats, some older scullers by other MMB makers, and an assortment of less-traditional craft. It might be a good chance to see a bunch of boats.

I would really like to see the build. It seems like its rare anyone is working on a wood boat build on this site that they post about! start it up again!

Jeff, have you ever thought of a Torqupedo? I believe the battery is built into the motor itself and a 3 hp will run for like 10 hours on a charge. Just a thought.

dc

I remember participating in a thread here about them last year. As I recall, they were pretty pricy? Sounds like a great option, if and when mass production and a competitor or two brings the price down a bit.

Anybody interested in seeing this build? I honestly thought there would be more interest.

I am sure there is a lot of interest from the community to see a boat build. But I don't think that is what you were asking for in your original post.

Looking forward to seeing it.

I would like to see the build. I posted my shell lake build recently and it got like 2500 views so i think folks check in and see whats been done on a daily basis. Its a good motivator for you the builder when you want to throw in the towel. Bob

Sorry about this..... but rescheduling for next spring is necessary... Just got a commission for a 26' coldmolded Carolina sportfish styled runabaout. I had molds set up and when the phone ran.... I'll post up picks of that build if there is interest. But MMBGF to be continued next fall.

Frank~

You've got one of the best reasons I've ever heard for delaying a duckboat build.

I'd love to watch your build of the 26-footer. I have yet to cold mold a hull - always intimidated by the logistics of the curing times, etc. Will you be vacuum bagging?

All the best,

SJS

Steven, I'll post then.. Not likely Vacum bagged, but male mold with places for stringers, chines, sheer, and ribbands and then planked, then epoxy glassed inside and out. Lots of sanding, then more sanding.. then paint.

Here is the last month's work on the new build... A carolina 24' with integral engine bracket(so loa= 26'). Sorry that I have just now gotten around to posting. When I'm not building I'm hunting. So I expect I'll be posting picture heavy at very random intervals. Hope you enjoy.
Frank
www.frankmiddletondecoys.com
www.middletonboatworks.com

View attachment Layup Day One-001.JPG

View attachment DSC_00041-001.JPG

View attachment DSC_00021-001.JPG

View attachment DSC_0002-001.JPG

View attachment DSC_0001-001.JPG

Back