Merrymeeting Bay Gunning Float

That hull looks great. You might need a few buddies when you get ready to flip that little boat, lol.

I would love to be a fly on your wall for that project.

Looking good, but it's the gunning float I want to see.

More importantly--2nd season is here next week. When are we hunting?

Last edited:
There is a great audio interview with Buster Prout who is one of the last craftsman who still make the Merrymeeting Bay Gunning Float scull boat. You can find it at www.storybankmaine.org, scroll down to "Worse things you can get into". He tells a great story about sculling for geese, and hunting in general.

Gibby

Busters boats are lovely- as I owned number 11 for 3 years- and as pretty as it was it did not scull well at all!!! motored great!!! but to scull it - was so much of a struggle- comapred to other boats i have sculled- but thats my Opinion!!! i would have rather just varnished it and hung it in my great room!!

Busters boats are lovely- as I owned number 11 for 3 years- and as pretty as it was it did not scull well at all!!! motored great!!! but to scull it - was so much of a struggle- comapred to other boats i have sculled- but thats my Opinion!!! i would have rather just varnished it and hung it in my great room!!

I've never been in one. I see Franklin Burroughs sculling his on occasion. What are you sculling now?

i have a 1960s joppa flats and a 1950s whitney- two very different styles but in there own element they work - the joppa is great for salt marsh and small bays and the whitney is great in big water- i use a small outboard on the joppa- but row the whitney- i had the whitney restored-

I've sculler franklins' Proust boat and it certainly sculls much better hanthebo t I have now. It is the reason I want to build one. I consider buster a friend but my budget and my pride as a boat builder will not let me but one from him. Jeff I'll be on the bay Monday. See you out there?

I've sculler franklins' Proust boat and it certainly sculls much better hanthebo t I have now. It is the reason I want to build one. I consider buster a friend but my budget and my pride as a boat builder will not let me but one from him. Jeff I'll be on the bay Monday. See you out there?

Frank, I'm hunting a small pocket marsh in the morning, but I may hunt the Bay in the afternoon. My host's dock is being pulled Monday morning, so I have to go down on Sunday to help move boats to an out haul and will take a quick scouting trip. If things look good, I'll be out later on Monday.

Frank,

I would love to see a build of a Merrymeeting Scull Boat. If I am not mistaken, John Gardner has a set of plans and lines for them in Classic Small Craft.
I have been pondering them for years now.

Frank
I own a Brant II from Lou. I do not do allot sculling. The hull of this style of boat is efficient and with a two man boat you have a place for the motor when not in use. I use Lou's oar and I put an offset bend in the blade of about two inches. I steam it and bend it is close to the start of the blade on the blade. The offset is measured with the flat side of the oar facing down and measured from the flat surface to the tip of the oar. The hull paddles like a canoe and I get 10mph with a 5hp with just me and a light load. I use 3gal. remote tank held under the bow and the pump ball is near the motor.

Thanks Bob and Chad.
Hopefully some rigged shots by middle of next week.
I'll be taking here to the Maine Boat Builders Show in Portland.

Frank

Back