Merrymeeting Bay Gunning Float

Frank~

Beautiful work! Looks like you'll be starting the MMB Float pretty soon.....

I have never seen a stern like that. Is there a name for the OB "extension" ? (It makes a lot of sense re both keeping seas out and maintaining lift.)

I'm tempted to head over to Portland in a couple of weeks.

All the best,

SJS

I have built one out of cedar strip, glassed over. One layer of 6 oz. was NOT enough. These boats take a lot of abuse. 2 layers of 6 oz. would be much beter. I am now in the position of needing to add another layer of glass. The float isn't in danger of sinking, but loading into a pick-up, beaching ect. can require small little repairs. It would have been no more work to add the extra layer, now it is going to be a bigger job.

Although it sounds like your build is delayed and mabe different than mine was. But if anyone is thinking about strip-built, don't skimp on the glass. I tried to keep it light, but should have erred on the side of durability.

Thanks greg. Thanks everybody. I'm at the boatbuilders show in Portland today. I had a good visit recently with a fellow who had a 6 mmbgf s.
I'm hoping to take a couple for a spring ride before I begin drawing one up. I've only been in and hunted two. Mine and a buster prout boat. I'm aiming to get a balance between motoring boat hunting( low profile blind) and sculling. I need a bit more length and beam than I have now, busters boat sculls like a dream but I'm pretty tall and like having my dog. Any way I'll keep you posted.

Back