Mobile Bay Mixed Bag

Carl

Staff member
Had a slow but productive day yesterday. I had found a pile of gadwalls and divers on Friday and we got out at 0-dark early and set up in what I thought was the best spot for a mixed bag.
Well, it turned out to be pretty slow. The divers mainly stayed out in deeper water and only 3 of the gadwalls came back. I got one. Only 3 bluebills came by and I got 2. Missed some GEs (see below) and passed on a few hen buffies.
After frustatingly watching a pile of divers trade back & forth about a 1/4 mile away all morning, the day ended at 11:00 with 1 gadwall, 1 buffy, 1 GE and 2 bluebills.
After we picked up, we ran out to where the most divers were, ran up over 500 bluebills that were rafted up in along line of a 1/4 mile long, plus a pile of buffies, marking the X with the GPS.

Two strange things:
I a pair of gadwalls come over the blind, high but in range. I flat out folded the drake (yep that is a drake in the pic, a very young one). The hen continued on for a milli-second or two, then saw the drake falling down. The hen turn, tucked her wings and did a crash dive to follow the dead-in-the-air drake! She pulled out at the last minute, fluttered around about 1' off the water, then flew off & sat down about 75 yards away. I was too stunned at what I was seeing to take a shot at her. She sat there for 10 minutes looking back where the dead drake laid.

The other strange thing was the number of GEs. In addition to the one I got, there was another one with it that I did not get a shot at, 3 that snuck in while I was looking through the binos (put 3 holes in the water behind them) and a couple of other pairs & singles I saw cruising around. The last time I shot a GE was 4 years ago and I've never seen this many GEs around on Mobile Bay. I hope to get back down to the spot soon to see if I can't fool a few more.

[inline CFDucksJan15_2011.jpg ]

View attachment CFDucksJan15_2011.jpg

Carl,

If your birds are anything like ours, you'll set up on the x next time only to see them back at the spot you were at.

Congrats on a good hunt, I'm jealous.

Bill

Carl,

If your birds are anything like ours, you'll set up on the x next time only to see them back at the spot you were at.

Yep, its been like that all season here. At least yesterday, enough came around my spot to keep it interesting!

Back