Mojo decoys or any other type of spinning wing decoys ?

Bill Abbate

Anyone currently using these and, if so, what type of response are you receiving from the ducks ? I'm considering adding one to my rig next weekend. Thanks in advance.

Bill, this is for what it is worth. If I use a motion wing it is only very early in the morning. If there are geese and or cranes in the area, I don't even set one up because they flare at great distances. Most of the time I just use my Mojo dove next to the shoreline.

A few years ago, I had a Cooper's hawk slam the dove. It was way too early for pictures but it was quite the sight to see.
Al

You're going to get some fun responses to this one... :)

FWIW I only use mine when I'm hunting flooded timber areas. I see you are on long island and I can tell you from experience most black ducks don't tend to care for them too much.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
A few years ago, I had a Cooper's hawk slam the dove. It was way too early for pictures but it was quite the sight to see.

So this begs the question; Who could do more damage, in the shortest period of time, to a spinner,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (A) Cooper's Hawk or (B) Tod Osier ? Yes guns are allowed :>) :>)
[/font]

Mojo's are good for shooting "Dark Ducks" - the first 20 or so minutes of shooting time, or longer on a overcast day. By "Dark Ducks" I mean, many times you don't know what kind of duck you have shot
till after it's in hand (as in drake or hen). They have done much to promote Mud Stompin'. Do I like them? NO. Do they work? Many times for ducks - YES. Geese hate em from what I have seen.

Hi Bill

We use them layout hunting to try and position the birds for the cleanest shot possible. We try to avoid long range passing shots that lead to more cripples. Feet down, in the decoys really helps with identification of species and gender.

Had mixed results. Put em out sometimes, others not. Just dont let others sway your trying to find a working thing. Will get back with any info that helps, Kevin

Hi Bill

We use them layout hunting to try and position the birds for the cleanest shot possible. We try to avoid long range passing shots that lead to more cripples. Feet down, in the decoys really helps with identification of species and gender.

Tim

I thought that was what those BIG white billboards were for, no?

Chuck

Get a mojo with a remote so it can be turned off easily if you hunt geese and ducks. I have killed birds with them and I know I have gotten shooting because of the mojo when competing with coots on the same pothole. If I use one on the water I use a floating mojo and don't mess with a stake. Field hunting ducks, early in the morning and in early teal season they really seem to work.

While we don't gun Puddlers anymore at all I can't voice an opinion. However friends swear by them in the fields that mallards are working. I did make two Ure-E-Duck wind operated ones (wirlly gigs) for Sea Ducks. My son loves them I don't see one bit of difference with them out. They sit it the basement as another token of marketing ingenuity. I should list them in the classified section and make room in my basement for mor #!^&.

Last edited:
Chuck my theory is that the Swans get their attention and the spinners attract them to the spot, or least toward the spot, where I'd like to shoot at them. As Kevin said...just using what I can for a productive hunt.

I was waiting for a Tod response all morning:) Thanks for the chuckle Tod. It's kinda like hail calling in the marsh when every group out there is pounding away on their calls. Sometimes less is better. 10 below this morning couldn't justify the 50 mile drive .

just using what I can for a productive hunt.

Interesting, since I had a water-swatter tell me that same thing once....

T

Robo ducks are an abomination. My first experience with one was in South Dakota when I saw one of the damn things flickering for hours across the lake from me. Guys who set up the robo shot non-stop. After I picked up I motored by to see what was up and there were these guys that had set up with a dozen Carry-Lites about ten feet from the beach with the robo going nuts on its stick. Two grinning yahoos were standing over a steaming pile of spoonies. But that was about 15 years ago. Maybe the spoonbills have wised up by now.
Yes, they are legal but they are not for me. I would just as soon guys threw corn in the water if it is about "just using what I can for a productive hunt" and then I don't have to watch all the spinning robos scattered around the marsh.
We all have personal lines in the sand we prefer not to cross....for me it is robo ducks and compound bows. But that is another gripe for another day

Last edited:
Robo ducks are an abomination. My first experience with one was in South Dakota when I saw one of the damn things flickering for hours across the lake from me. Guys who set up the robo shot non-stop. After I picked up I motored by to see what was up and there were these guys that had set up with a dozen Carry-Lites about ten feet from the beach with the robo going nuts on its stick. Two grinning yahoos were standing over a steaming pile of spoonies. But that was about 15 years ago. Maybe the spoonbills have wised up by now.
Yes, they are legal but they are not for me. I would just as soon guys threw corn in the water if it is about "just using what I can for a productive hunt" and then I don't have to watch all the spinning robos scattered around the marsh.
We all have personal lines in the sand we prefer not to cross....for me it is robo ducks and compound bows. But that is another gripe for another day

If feel terrible that you have to watch robos, just awful.

Dwight, I agree 99% with you...anything that will thin the deer population here in Michigan is good for the front end of my car...

In 2010, my hunting partner and I were at a Ohio DNR waterfowl area, for a drawing hunt he had been picked for. We hadn't hunted the area in many years. After our instructions, and blind drawing all hunters moved outside prior to loading the boats. I listened as many of the younger hunters were talking about Robo's & Mud Stompin'. It seemed to be All About Killin' Ducks, no matter what. I nudged my partner and said "Things have really changed......."

We were the last boat at the end of the line, and as I looked up the line of boats under the few lights. I could see Robo Tree's, and black boxes of Robo's in every boat, but ours. I had my hand made decoys, in large plastic tubs with handles. Many of the other hunters came over to our boat to check us out. Some even asked if we hunted over those things? Right then and there I knew we were in for a long day. No doubt about it, New Age Hunting, and Waterfowling has passed me by, and left me in the dust, but that's OK with me cuz like everyone. I'm headed that way.

Early morning for sure and Ive seen them work wonders in a field. With sun they are to used to seeing them now and act as a stoplight. I have a remote but even with that I find it doesn't work well. Just two cents worth for yah.

Back