More Uncle Ted

Worth Mathewson

While checking the morning news on Yahoo I found the following: An article by Larry Womack from The Huffington Post, titled TED NUGENT'S JAILBAIT PROBLEM. It is a long article, so I will just pass on parts. To a large degree this is for those on my recent post who are ok with Nugent, or worse, support him. For me, I will go back to my deep North Carolina roots and use the term "sorry" to describe an individual who is much more than lacking in everything. Of course if such an individual was seriously lacking "bastard" was added to "sorry." Those two are a perfect fit for me for Nugent.
Parts of the article. "In fact, in the case of Nugent, we have even come to see alleged child sexual abuse as some sort of eccentricity or harmless vice. Can you image anyone else who had been accused of having sex with a 12 year old, writing a song about raping a 13 year old? When Ted Nugent was 32 years old, he released the song "Jailbait". It was written by him. Here is a taste of the lyrics:
Well, I don't care if you are just 13/ You look too good to be true/ I just know that you're probably clean/ Jailbait you look fine,fine,fine/ It's quite alright, I asked your mama/ Wait a minute, officer/ Don't put the handcuffs on me/ Put them on her and I'll share her with you.
The album's next track is titled: "I Am A Predator." I'm not kidding. That sounds an awful lot like that line in Jailbait. You know, the one just before he urges the cop to handcuff the girl so they can both rape her. Wrap your mind around that for a moment: the man wrote, recorded, and released a semi-autobiographical pedophile joke. But we have pretty good reason, even beyond the autobiographical details, to believe that the choice of 13 in "Jailbait" is not entirely comedic exaggeration. For example, Courtney Love claims to have performed oral sex on Nugent when she was 12 and half. This would have been around the time of Nugent's 29th birthday.
To be clear: Nugent says that he does not remember the incident with Love. He is not guilty just because he is accused. That is an incredibly serious allegation and, given that recollections are clouded by a haze of three decades and god knows how many drugs on Love's part, it is to be taken with a grain of salt. Still, he doesn't say, "Because I wouldn't have sex with a 12 year old." He just denies recalling it.
Nugent is embraced as some sort of down home firebrand. He's a redneck rock star; sex with kids is just part of the package. How can anyone be seen on a campaign stage with a man with this sort of personal history? What is wrong with these people? So the next time Ted Nugent says something horrible (and there will be a next time) I encourage you to stay focused on the big picture. You know, the one of that little girl in handcuffs."
There was a lot more in the article, none of it good. About the best I can do is shake my head in bewilderment that this man has a voice in OUR outdoor world, a world that we base much of our life around. Best, Worth Mathewson

Worth, that kind of puts not tagging an illegal spike horn buck taken over bait in perspective.

Some folks just don't think the rules--any rules--ought to apply to them.

I read that article on Huffington post as well.

It was right between some generic Republican bashing article and a story on men sexually abusing farm animals after being kidnapped by aliens.

The next article down was about the horrors of law abiding citizens owning guns and how in a civilized society only police and military needed to be armed

Good thing he doesn't write lyrics for country music. It is easy to find fault with someone in the spotlight. Even easier when he is in the way of your agenda. If you like him or not he isn't trying to take away the 2nd amendment. I would like to get a really nice big spike. John

If the Huffington Post says it, it must be true.

I don't pay much attention to Ted nugent or watch duck dynasty.
But the amount of hatred aimed at them on this site surprises me a little.

At least they are defending their sport to the best of their ability.

I'm still a little disheartened from a previous thread where I learned that some of us are so embarrassed to be hunters that they change clothes at the boat ramp so no one sees them in camo.

If we don't stand up for our sport it can be taken away from us.
Attacking the people that are defending you just because they don't live up to your standards seems counterproductive.

It seems likely Ted nugent would be charged with something as soon as any actual evidence was uncovered by the hundreds of people who have been digging since he became political.

I too miss the days when sportsman where portrayed with a little respect, but those days are gone.

I'm still a little disheartened from a previous thread where I learned that some of us are so embarrassed to be hunters that they change clothes at the boat ramp so no one sees them in camo.

Attacking the people that are defending you just because they don't live up to your standards seems counterproductive.

It seems likely Ted nugent would be charged with something as soon as any actual evidence was uncovered by the hundreds of people who have been digging since he became political.

I too miss the days when sportsman where portrayed with a little respect, but those days are gone.
Mike: I have to go along with you. I've never listened to the man or watched Dynasty so I can't judge them but isn't this enough hatred on this post. You all have stated your case so let's let it goooo--geeeeeeez!!!!
wis boz

Mike: I have to go along with you. I've never listened to the man or watched Dynasty so I can't judge them but isn't this enough hatred on this post. You all have stated your case so let's let it goooo--geeeeeeez!!!!
wis boz
Ditto and Ditto....Thanks Gentlemen...

Last edited:
I long for the days when men like Ted Willams,Bud Grant and Kurt Gowdy were are spokesman. I don't know how Phil got dragged into this. His mistakes were the ones young men make and he has sought redemption for.

This pony has been shot , and whipped back to life a few times.Someone please take out a black gun and put it out of it's misery:)

Some mistakes you never stop paying for especially when they are viewed by the court of public opinion. I am not a Nugent fan but, I will say that if you find a news paper of any size that has not manipulated the truth in some way to promote a story you will be the first.

You must be perfect to cast such stones Worth.I expected better from you.

Last edited:
Judas Priest, Worth! What is your fascination with this guy?

Song lyrics can be completely fictional and dabble in dark fantasy. They may be offensive. They may be disturbing. They may be provocative. But, it doesn't mean the author is a sociopath.

Do you hold Johnny Cash to the same standard? What about lyrics from these songs:

From "Cocaine Blues"...

Early one morning, while making the rounds
I took a shot of cocaine and gunned my woman down...

From "Folsom Prison Blues"

I shot a man in Reno
Just to watch him die...

Based on that, do you think "The Man in Black" was a scumbag murderer?

I haven't read the article. Was Ted accused of statutory rape? Investigated? Indicted? If these reporters have credible "sources", why hasn't he had a visit from law enforcement? After all, statutory rape typically has a long statute of limitations.

Is it possible the only thing he's guilty of is being a self-aggrandizing a-hole? Or, simply being provocative to try to reclaim a rock-n-roll legacy that is succumbing to its own irrelevancy?

I'm with you Worth. Didn't Uncle Ted say he would either be dead or in jail if Obama is reelected? Never too late Ted.
Good time of year to shake that nest.
-

Frankly, I gave a lot of consideration about posting the Nugent article. But I felt it provided a perhaps an important insight, even though what was written about took place over 30 years ago.
Some answers to some of the replies to that post:
Wis Boz: Yes, I've had my say. I'll leave it at that. But please keep well in mind that for much of your very long life you have seen the best of spokesmen for the outdoors. That isn't the case in the crazy world we now live in.
Bob M: Ouch. I am certainly not perfect, never have been, but I will always be quick to speak out to protect the image of sportsmen.
CPK Basil and Robert: Yep, some of Cash's songs are disturbing. He had a rough life at times. But let me assure you he was one of my favorite singers. I first saw him live in 1958, at the Cottonwoods, in Crabtree, Oregon. Saw him twice more, once at the Oregon State Fair, and once in Portland. And I think his "I Walk The Line" is one of the top songs of all time.
Scott Kittredge: Nugent has everything to do with duck boats and duck hunting. Also squirrel hunting, sora rail hunting, or anything else involving a gun and wildlife.
Best, Worth Mathewson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea1y00HBcwI

Mongrels anyone?

I never really was a Nugent Music fan, and I believe he has a fairly long history of chasing tail. There is nothing wrong with telling a story with music. Music is very much the same as literature.

There are many ways to tell a story.
Some are lewd, and disturbing, some make you happy, and some can even make you angry.
There is a 1st amendment in this country (for now.)

Gives us some freedoms that folks in other countries might not have.

Some folks are put up to talking for others, and in the Constitutional and political arena,
it may be that Ted has arrived in that position.

I for one believe that music of "my generation" reached its pinnacle with Ronnie James Dio when he fronted Black Sabbath.

Guy had a phenomenal voice, wrote songs of great substance, and was backed by a powerhouse of musicians.

He died a terrible death from Cancer and left Legions of fans that will remember him in a positive way.
Albums like "heaven and Hell" and "Mob Rules."

They are about good and evil
and about the balance in between.

Maybe that is what this whole thread is really about?

Good and Evil are all around us at all times.

Look for the good and walk away from the evil.

Last edited:
I guess I'll.kick this dead horse one more time, and try to get the smell off my boots later.
In my view Ted nugent isn't being attacked by the press because he is a nasty old washed up rock star. Pop culture normally would love him for his alleged perversity.
His primary sin is standing up for the wrong side in the political arena.
I suspect many of the men we admired from the good old days would be torn apart by the hostility and manipulation of the facts by today's media..

I saw clips of Tom Selleck being ambushed by rosie o'donnel and he looked like he was ready to apologize for being a gun owner. Quiet dignity won't take you very far in this enviroment.

the point I'm trying to make is that if the press ever picked anything up from this thread the headline would read "Worth Mathewson thinks Ted nugent is wrong on gun control"

Back