motor problem, NDR

Wicker T or anybody else, I need some help. A friend was helping me remove the steering cable from my bass boat. The nut holding the cable at the motor was not loosening and we accidentially pushed the piece(don't know technical term) that holds the motor to the bracket (the steering goes thru this) part of the way out. We could not get it to go back in. This is a Johnson 70HP by the way. Is there a trick or do we just need a bigger hammer? It stops about an inch from being all the way in. If photos would help I can post some if it ever stops raining- tropical depression Fay is drenching us. Thanks in advance, Steve

Go to www.brp.com and get in the parts section. In there you can pull up your particular motor and see exploded schematics for the area you are working on. I have a feeling something isn't lined up straight with the weight hanging off it. I bet the tolerances are real tight right there.

Sounds like you pushed the tilt tube out. It is a tight fit so you may have to loosen one side bracket to get things lined up. Bigger hammer will just give the parts guys more work. Check out the pics in the parts catalog and it should make sense. A cherry picker to take the weight of the motor off of the bracket may be a big help too. Not many things as sqirmy as an outboard on the loose, stay in control of that thing and don't try to catch it if it falls. Good Luck

Thanks Tom & Lee, we are able to move the motor around while trying to push the tube back through but so far have been unable to make it go together. Figured that we might have to remove the motor to get weight off of it to make it line up. We'll kep trying if it ever drys up Thanks again. Steve

Back