Motor Size Reccomendations

I have a 16' x 5' fiberglass over wood Kara hummer style boat and was wondering if a mercury 3.3 hp would have enough power to push it around. I would like to use a motor with an intergrated tank and found an awesome deal on this motor. What are your thoughts.

I am sure it will move you around. I don't think it will plane the boat but it will get you where you wanna go. I also wouldn't use it in any kinda chop or rough water. Use it in closed sheltered waters and it should be fine.

The boat sits very close to the water it is definately a small water boat. Sits about 9 inches out. I have an electric 55lb thrust motor on it but would not be fast enough to chase down a half shot bird. I will post pics once I can figure out how to lower the pixels on my camera.Nice job on your rebuild Chris.

Last edited:
That's a BIG Kara! So my results may not be the same as yours.

I have that same motor and use it on a modified version of the Hummer (mine is about 12.6' long and has a transom and is an all fiberglass version). It's a great motor for the boat. You won't win any races, but it'll move you along at a decent rate, even against a head wind. You don't want to get moving too fast anyway or you run the risk of driving the bow into waves. There are several stories floating around of Kara's or 4-Rivers boats becoming bass plugs when being towed.

Watch when you turn while under power as the boat isn't really built for cornering. It tends to just slide along the surface and the deck on the outside of the turn can dig in.

Scott

There are several stories floating around of Kara's or 4-Rivers boats becoming bass plugs when being towed.

I pulled a Kara underwater on opening day this year--it only took a moment of inattention.

Rick

Thats a big Kara. I have a 42lb thrust that moves mine along just fine. If you sit down and try to figure the conversion on paper from hp to thrust pounds, it gets pretty muddy. Basically the 3.3 hp would convert to somewhere around a couple hundred thrust pounds. If the motor moves you too quickly I would be concerned about slips of the hand that might make the boat turn sharply and swamp. Pushing through any kind of wave or wake would also be very hazardous if going too fast. I also like the fact that I can adjust my trolling motor to bring the motor up to the bottom of the boat to get as shallow as I can since that is the reason we are playing in little boats anyway.

dc

Thanks Dave, I had caught a link to your boat build on another site. That is what encouraged me to build mine, I had e-mailed you a couple times with questions. I love the low profile but wanted it large enough to hunt two and put out a large spread. I would like to try the Susquehanna Flats but am a little intimidated. I will post pics this weekend.

Yes, lets see some pics of this beast. I just got back in from using mine 20 minutes ago. Day 4 of the first split......zero birds, zero shots! But I had fun doing it.

dc

Back