mounting garboard drain plug

Brian Story

I'm wanting to put a garboard drain plug on my aluminum boat. I have a tunnel with two drain plugs and have busted my knuckles all season putting them in and out. Plus with the kids asking if they can "pull that out", I started wanting the same drain system like our ski boat. But I don't want to place any holes in the transom. Will I get it to stick with good epoxy? I believe the garboards are mainly brass. Any suggestions to get the brass and aluminum to bond? Should I get my alum. welder to manufacture something similiar to a garboard plug?

Brian

If you're sloppy with 5200 like I am - they make it in black for what it's worth. I tend to be a mess with the stuff, because I'm one of those "more is better types." You usually have to order it, but the black ends up looking better and is more in line with our needs.
Cheers!
Kev

5200 works fine, another alternative is using bitumen/roof tar. Old salts/workboat guys have used it for years and if for some reason you need to work on the plug/change it, the removal is a LOT easier than 5200.

If you're sloppy with 5200 like I am - they make it in black for what it's worth. I tend to be a mess with the stuff, because I'm one of those "more is better types." You usually have to order it, but the black ends up looking better and is more in line with our needs.
Cheers!
Kev

It cleans up nicely before cured with any of the nonpolar solvents, including: mineral spirits and paint thinner.

Back