My best crack pot half baked idea in awhile

bob welsh

When I hunt shallow water the one item I am never without is a jerk string. My set up consists of three mallard decoys tied with line tail to breast tail to breast with a piece of shock cord tied to the tail of the last decoy and then the other end tied to a 5 ft piece of aluminum tube. this set up works good but I wanted more volume. I was fishing a topwater bass plug like a Hula Popper and saw that shape of the concave front and it gave me an idea for a decoy.

I started with some restle bodies fiberglassed a dollar store salad bowl to the front.

I covered the decoy with glue and corn cob grit

Painted and tested in the pool...works very good

I looked at the photos before I read. I was wondering if you had made some outrageous duck themed toliet plunger. :)
I bet they will move some water on a jerk string.

Tim

Good morning, Bob~

Great idea - and very nice paint on those Mallards....BUT...what do the Bass think???

All the best,

SJS

I have a swimming pool right outside the shop(read test tank) that the birds were floated in and the volume of water they push is way more than just a standard decoy. If I can post a video I will. I was thinking that a salad bowl could be put on the tail end too as the bungie stretches both ways.

No bass in the pool Steve. Uh, that would be a pond...pond would be good for you! Couldnt resist a Caddyshack line.

Love the way your mind works, then to pull it off with a great looking creation! Good job and I'll look forward to how it works when the season opens.
Al

Bob,
Cool idea kinda like what Don Mintz started with his River Keel for use on moving water.
I would sure like to see these in use, should be great on any calm backwater.
Good thinking and i like your paint scheme.

You guys that live in pike territory up north could be in a for a surprise!

I suppose down here, there is always our gators.

Hula-Decoys - Now that is one good idea, and should move a large volume of water. Just watch out for one of those fall Muskies wantin' ta "Lard Up". That would be a darn good show...

That's jus dumb enough to work.

Next year when someone is selling them in mass production we will all back you up that it was your idea.

Seriously.

Bob - With Bass Pro and Presley's nearby, I'm with these guys, you better get a patent on that quickly. You are truly the King of Gadget...
Did you get your shed squared away? Pat

No patent. This is my gift to mankind! Ive been working on rebuilding the shed after the fire so decoy and boat production is way down. The Illinois River is still way to high to do anything club wise.

River hit 26.0 feet today. We have 3 feet of water in the basement at the cabin. If this keeps up, we'll be hunting sea ducks at the duck club... pg

Pretty much cant do anything at the club. For folks reading this our normaal pool where we are is 8.5 feet for some perspective

Back