name brand choke tubes

Chris S.

I know that the best thing to do is pattern your your gun and see what shell and choke works best for your gun. Also getting the birds feet down over the decoys is best too. I patterned my gun a few weeks ago and found that some remington shells pattern the best out of my mossberg 930 with the mod choke. I was wondering what chokes you guys use and what brand? I was thinking about trying a wad stripping choke like patternmaster or wad Wizard. Not sure if they are any good or just hype. Do any of you guys use name brand choke tubes like carlson's, pattern master, wad wizard? Did you get better patterns or was it not worth the money? Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
I use Pure Gold Choke tubes for everything.. They are awesome Have many different shotguns.. From Clay shooting to waterfowl. THey work..

I like light mod Carlson ext sporting clays choke it cost me $25. Instead of puttting pellets on paper go shoot trap and skeet. That will tell you a lot more about your shooting than a piece of cardboard ever will

I like light mod Carlson ext sporting clays choke it cost me $25. Instead of puttting pellets on paper go shoot trap and skeet. That will tell you a lot more about your shooting than a piece of cardboard ever will

I've had that tube in my Benelli exclusively for over 10 years.

The modified tube that came with my Berretta. Only time I change it is to put in the skeet tube when I shoot some very narrow creeks (20 yard shots max) for woodies.

A year after buying my Benelli and realizing that just about every shell patterned horrible out of the factory chokes I bought a Kick's modified. Little cheaper than the Patternmaster but same concept. Have found a number of different shells that pattern great and haven't looked back since.

Carlson...

I shoot a Remington Youth 11-87 sportsman 20, 300 Ideal 12, and SP-10...Have skeet through improve-modified in both 20 and 12...Only shoot a modified through my 10...Spend most of the season with skeet in my 20, skeet/improved in my o/u 12...Shoot between 2s and 6s, 2 3/4", in both 20 and 12 ...Only shoot 2s through my 10.

Don't overthink the expensive chokes or best ever changes to ammunition...You can get the carlson cheaper and shoot just about any thing through the extended choke tubes they make except shot sizes of BB and larger. Once you get into the Modified to Full range of restriction on the choke you have the possibly due to pressure on no forgiving steel shot to blow or bulge your barrel...

Regards,
Kristan

if i didnt have my patternmaster i would prob quit hunting. I kill 50% more birds solely because of that choke, i watched my buddies outshoot me for a couple years and then i bought one and it is night and day. But you have to learn that choke, you will be shooting a grapefruit instead of a beachball so you have to tune in to it. It took me an entire season to really get good with it (i bought dad one and he threw it on the shelf b/c he couldnt hit anything with it in an hour) you have to learn it. Another key note to the patternmaster is SLOW shells.. forget that 1500-1600 FPS mess and get 1250-1300 FPS shells you will get MUCH better patterns. Use my years of trial and error to your benefit, trust me. I will never shoot anything but steel shot as long as i have my patternmaster. If i could get you to hunt with me one time i would make you a believer, i dont even like taking people with me that dont shoot them cause thier gonna shoot cripples all day and get frustrated.

i promise im not a rep for patternmaster! (although maybe i should be, anyone here work there? lol) I just know what they have done for my shooting.

To have a good pattern for the size shot your are using, 0.000" constriction between the barrel and choke tube and not something that is a standard choke size can make a big difference. The Mossberg may be back bored to increase the I.D. of the barrel. If you like to shoot the super sonic velocity steel, get an extended tube that is rated for heavy shot. The longer tube makes for a better transition from the barrel to choke tube.

if i didnt have my patternmaster i would prob quit hunting. I kill 50% more birds solely because of that choke, i watched my buddies outshoot me for a couple years and then i bought one and it is night and day. But you have to learn that choke, you will be shooting a grapefruit instead of a beachball so you have to tune in to it. It took me an entire season to really get good with it (i bought dad one and he threw it on the shelf b/c he couldnt hit anything with it in an hour) you have to learn it. Another key note to the patternmaster is SLOW shells.. forget that 1500-1600 FPS mess and get 1250-1300 FPS shells you will get MUCH better patterns. Use my years of trial and error to your benefit, trust me. I will never shoot anything but steel shot as long as i have my patternmaster. If i could get you to hunt with me one time i would make you a believer, i dont even like taking people with me that dont shoot them cause thier gonna shoot cripples all day and get frustrated.

i promise im not a rep for patternmaster! (although maybe i should be, anyone here work there? lol) I just know what they have done for my shooting.

I have a Patternmaster, on the shelf. What size shot do you use? I have some #1 & #2 but mostly BB in 3".

I bought a drake killer choke tube last year and used it on spring snows and it works great. Also shot a hand full of canada geese this year and can't complain.

i shoot number 1's sometimes BB's in 3in. (i havent bought 3.5 in years because of the $$) because we do alot of open water hunting and the heavier the steel is the less the wind effects it. I wouldnt want to go any smaller then 1 unless im in a swamp or on a lake where i might shoot as small as 4-6's. Most of our shots on the sound are inside 25 yds too. I dont like shooting long range shots although the patternmaster is very capable of it. I like birds to have a chance to decoy, we usually get plenty of shooting so we dont have to take 75yd shots. If they are inside 25 yds whether your shooting number 1 steel or the heaviest tungsten on the market (at $5 a shot!) your going to have the same results and with that choke your bird is either dead or you miss all together since your shooting grapefruits.

Back