NDR-.22 Pistols

Ron Simmons

Hey guys,
I just got interested in shooting handguns again and was looking to get a .22 pistol. I looked at the Sig Mosquito, the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger and wondered if anyone has a experience with any of them. The Sig is my first choice since it is similar in size and feel to their larger guns, but I have heard they are fussy about ammo. I liked the Browning ok but have heard it is difficult to disassemble for cleaning. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks
Ron

I don't know much about them except that I've always wanted a Ruger Mark II, High Standard or a Colt Woodsman. I do have a Colt New Frontier Buntline (7" barrel) and I guess that's why I never popped for a semi-auto. My Colt is as accurate a .22 as I need for squirrel, raccoon, etc. and there is just something about a single action that trips my trigger.

there is nothing difficult about breaking down the Browning Buckmark for cleaning. However if you do like the sig I would suggest getting one of their larger calibers that will take one of their .22 conversion kits then you can shoot two calibers out of the same gun.

Ron,

Please tell us what you want to do with the pistol. Target, plinking, carry, hunting or other? Since I haven't bought a new 22 pistol for 30 years my models are out dated but the concepts are true. For target get a real target pistol. I made due with a bull barrel Mark 1 Ruger and spent more money on the trigger job than the gun cost me. It's big and heavy with very aggressive sites, not something you stick in an inside the belt holster or even a small belt holster while fishing, hunting and general out door enjoyment. I carried a Walther PP for that and it was great in that roll. Since I had a PPKS in 380 I could swap out for the bigger, more reliable rimless round if I wanted to "carry". Same feel and controls between the two. I shot a few woodchucks, lots of empty cans and even a number of 50 yd chicken sillies with the PP - Still love it! Also of great value is a 22 conversion kit for your main carry gun. I have a kit for my 1911 45s and it's been useful and fun to shoot the cheap smaller cal rds out of the big guns. Recently with my old eyes I switched over to laser sites and getting familiar with them, point shooting, using 22s saved a lot of loading bench time and money. For hunting and plinking it was hard to beat the good old Ruger 4" RST. Reliable, easy to scope and relatively low cost. Oh and if you buy good quality, 30 years later you too will still be happy with your choices.

And then we can talk revolvers :^)

Scott

Ron,

I own a Sig Mosquito. I bought mine for the same reasons that you mentioned. Size, feel and handle like a larger caliber. I will admit that I have not shot huge numbers of rounds thru it yet but to this point I haven't had any ammo issues. Keep it clean and lightly oiled and it goes bang bang.

Jeff

Ron, my experience is limited to the Ruger. I have owned a Mark II for 25 years and have shot thousands of rounds out of it. At times I do a lot of pistol shooting, including IDPA shooting, and I enjoy shooting the 22. they are cheap to shoot and are an inexpensive way to concentrate on pistol shooting basics - aiming, hold control, breath control, trigger control and follow through. The Ruger is very reliable but can be a pain to re-assemble the first few times. The ruger is good for target shooting and hunting but not so much if you intend to carry for personal protection.

If I were looking for another 22 pistol, I'd find a used Ruger MKII, and put a Volquartzen trigger kit into it for another $100 and change. HUGE difference with the trigger kit in it. Get the kit, and sit at down with your computer on in front of you with the youtube instructions playing, and in 30 minutes you have a really nice trigger.

I recently bought a new Sig Mosquito... I had concerns about the fussy ammo "reputation" also, but the gun shop owner/gunsmith that I bought it from put me at ease when he pulled the plastic case out from beneath the counter and showed me the extra (alternate) spring that Sig supplies in every box now.
It has been performing flawlessly for me since I have had it. I'm shooting the cheaper "Blazer" .22 ammo in it...

Ron,
I own an older woodsman that is fun as heck.
My buddy has his grandfathers S+W auto target model and it is sweet to shoot at targets w good ammo.
I long for an older S+W revolver in 22 but the 700+ price tag is hard to swallow except for the fact they will never go down in price
Ill second the, get a conversion kit for a full size model, if you are thinking of owning one at all. Shoot the 22 for practice and fun for short money.
This is esp true for the 1911 and clones.

A Rock Island and a Kimber kit is not a bad way to go.

Thanks Guys, This is what I love about this place, guys are always willing to share information regardless of the topic. This will help me in my decision.
Thanks again
Ron

If your looking for a full size it would be hard to beat a smith 41 or
617 if your looking for revolver.
I have shot the buckmark and for a cheap priced gun it shot rather well.
I also have the Mark 2 it is a nice gun but it is not in the same class as the 41

Ron, I own very few autoloaders but the Ruger is one that I have used and I really like it. I have the 45/22 or is it 22/45? Works good last a long time.

Back