NDR--bamboo fly rod--nice!

Jeff Reardon

Supporter
Lou and I pretty much derailed the Rifle River brown trout thread, so I figured I'd start a new one rather than continue that diversion into cane rods.

My friend David the rodmaker (his proud wife, actually) just posted some photos of the rod he's working on right now, and I figured those of you with real woodworking skills might appreciate his fine work.

Check out the ferrule and the stripper guide, and the fabulous thread work on both, over here:

http://forum.flyfishinginmaine.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17124

David is an incredible craftsman, and even other good rod makers don't know how he gets such nice finishes on his rods. Hacks like me shouldn't be allowed to fish with his work!

Jeff,
I did not see the notes you and Lou got into. But I have my Dad's rod. I took a whole trout season and fished it only. What a fun year. I took a beating a time or two to my buddies with the shiners and meal worms, but I had a ball.
One very lucky day I happened to be in the brook when a spinner hatch went off. Rained bugs for an hour. I was cutting op dry flys as fast as the trout were eating them to make the wings look the same.
My uncle has his fathers rods and does not fish them at all. What a shame.

Bob

Hi Bob,
Jeff and I took it to PMs and kept running for an hour or so. Great time. Here might be a good place to post some of those discussions on bamboo rods & fishing. I'll do that later.
A good fly fisherman can typically outfish bait & plug casters of equal expertise since we can easily match any hatch. Though, as the depth gets greater, it's harder for a fly fisherman to compete...i.e. 60 feet or more that some fellas fsih at times.
Lou

Jeff,
I did not see the notes you and Lou got into. But I have my Dad's rod. I took a whole trout season and fished it only. What a fun year. I took a beating a time or two to my buddies with the shiners and meal worms, but I had a ball.

I am told by a friend who is both a very fine fly angler and a tournament bass fisherman that fly tackle is illegal in bass tournaments.

I can't speak much to the largemouth, but it's deadly gear for fishing smallmouth in the rivers around here.

I am told by a friend who is both a very fine fly angler and a tournament bass fisherman that fly tackle is illegal in bass tournaments.

Most bass associations have a length limit on rods that makes fly fishing more difficult to do. I think it's 8 foot. I like my shorter 4 wt but I think a shorter 8 or 9 weight to throw big bugs would be too much work. I have seen a couple guys on TV who fish tournys with a fly rod, they do OK but can not match the speed that conventional anglers can cover water.

I was flipping jigs in logs last week and as much as I like fly fishing no way could I have caught more then one or two of the fish I caught that morning on fly gear. They each have their own ideal conditions.

1timsbass.jpg

Tim

Jeff, your friend makes a great looking rod. The cane buggy whip affliction hit me 20 years ago, and a whole closet full of wooden rods, reels, creels, etc. now attest to this fact.

I recommend all you users of graphite stay away from the split cane, as the affliction will equal your zest for good guns, decoys, and duck boats.

Back