NDR but it is hunting related

Huntindave McCann

Sponsor
I entered the world of the crossbow last Friday. I've been an archery guy since childhood. Mostly hunting rabbits and such as a child, until I started hunting deer with bow and arrow. Never even considered gun hunting for deer.

Then my neighbor got me going hard core into tournaments, specifically "target" and "field" classes as well as "bowhunter". I was pretty good at it too, winning more than one State Championship Title. "Field" tournaments covered shooting from 20 feet, all the way out to 80 yards in distance. Small errors in form can not be hidden when shooting an 80 yard target.

Anyway, getting back to my new jaunt down the crossbow path. I found a smoking deal, right time, right place. My local Mills Fleet Farm had a brand spanking new Ravin R5X discounted from $1599 down to $950 (40% discount). I saved enough on the crossbow, to more than cover the purchase of a proper target, a soft case and additional bolts (arrows). Those bolts are a bit expensive, either $85 for a 6 pack or $130 for a 3 pack depending on the grade one desires.

20240629_061338.jpg

20240630_154651.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing how accurate the newer crossbows are. Picked a 400FPS myself couple summers ago. Just pick the dot in the scope and squeeze like a rifle. Almost cheating!

7 years ago I finally had to put up my compound due to a shoulder injury from kayaking when I lived in Florida. I went the crossbow route. I've been shooting a Wicked Ridge and so far deer seasons have been 7 for 7. I really enjoy it.

Two questions.

(1) What is the effective range of a crossbow for deer-sized game?
(2) Are crossbows allowed during "archery" seasons in your state, or is there a separate crossbow license/season?

Crossbows are now legal during archery seasons, as well as during the "firearms" season, but this was very controversial when implemented and opposed strongly by local bow-hunting advocates.

(1) What is the effective range of a crossbow for deer-sized game?
Jeff,
Not being a smarty pants when I say this; You're asking a loaded question. IMHO any weapon in the hands of the average hunter has a greater effective range than the person behind that weapon.
As I was measuring the distance for and shooting a target with my crossbow, I thought to myself, "dang that's far". At that same time, I realized that the distance I was shooting to the crossbow target I had just placed, was no further than I had been accurately shooting my compound bow years earlier.
My effective range with a compound bow was limited only by how accurately I could stay on target, not by the effectiveness of the weapon. I see the crossbow as no different. The weapon has a greater effective range than my present ability to shoot it. I fully expect in a hunting scenario that I will take shots no farther than I have previously taken with my compound bow. I certainly can not speak for everyone.

Edit;
I might also add that one cannot lump all crossbows together, any more than one could ask "what's the effective range of a gun on deer-sized game? (without narrowing down the caliber and other details)

(2) Are crossbows allowed during "archery" seasons in your state, or is there a separate crossbow license/season?
In Iowa;
No special separate season set aside only for crossbows. Crossbows are not "uniformly" allowed for everyone participating in the archery deer season. The use of a crossbow is very specific in who may use one and what they may shoot during the archery deer season. The specifics can be found on-line if you are interested in knowing .

Last edited:

Jeff,

Here in FL, crossbows are not allowed in archery season. There may be a separate season but I think in general they fall under "general gun". You do have to have the crossbow stamp if you are going to use a crossbow to hunt with.

I think if you can get an exemption from your doctor on why you can't use a regular bow, then you might be able to use a crossbow here in archery season. I know i have discussed that with the fellas at the check station before...

Same here in Illinois. At one time crossbow usage to hunt required a medical reason. That's no longer the case. Anyone at any age can use a crossbow for hunting. As far as effective range, Dave's explanation is a very good one. For me personally I've never taken a shot over 35 yards. That's the comfort range I was always at with stick bows and compounds. Where I hunt the timber is thick so I have to pick shooting lanes. It's very easy to have a bolt deflected off a limb and miss completely or injure and animal. Also my scope has 3 yardages and my longest yardage is set from the factory for 35 yards. No need for me to change anything.

Here in Indiana, crossbows are egal basically from Oct 1 thru 1st week in January. I have used a crossbow for several years now--farthest shot I've ever taken at a deer is 40 yds which is max range I am comfortable with as far as harvesting a deer. I too have a Ravin crossbow and honestly is a tack driver at 100 yds with more than enough power to effectively harvest a deer. No way I would ever attempt that, but do know others will.

Dave--be sure to watch the bow string in relation to the timing marks on the cams. If it gets outside of those you are asking for lots of trouble. Highly recommend to have the string replace at a minimum of every 2 years and much quicker if you shoot it much.

In Alabama, crossbows are legal in archery season and gun season.

Back