NDR-I Need a Truck

I'm in the same boat. 05' F150 XLT with a 5.4L and looking for EXACTLY what you are. HOwever i don't need all the towing. have a 22' glass boat but towing is usually short distance. I 'm not impressed with the new 5.0 or the 3.5 Ecoboost. I'm in love with the Tundra 5.7L engine but NOT the price tag. Let us know what you go with. They about gave me a 2014 Ram Crew with a Hemi but they couldn't get me convinced they'd worked out all the regular maintenance problems with them. Brakes, tires etc.

I drove an ecoboost last week, and the power was impressive. However, the price tag, coupled with my archaic fears about squeezing that much power out of a 3.5L and my snobbish dislike for Ford styling , have driven me back into the arms of Government Motors.

I'm going to look at a Silverado 1/2 ton with the new 5.3L and Max Trailering Package. It's really hard to find, but it includes beefed up rear suspension, oversized radiator, integrated trailer brake controller, larger rear axle, and most important, 3.73 rear. I think it'll be enough for the occasional "heavy" towing that i need to do, but should be very servicable as a daily road runner...and i should be able to get it for $5K less than the ecoboost.

Problem is that they are almost impossible to find in that configuration. There's one in Harrisburg PA, so i guess that means I'm taking off work tomorrow to go up and look at it. (I'm actually going up to the Outdoor Show, but this makes for a lovely side trip). If i'm not impressed, i think i may hold out for a good used Duramax...

Thanks for all the advice guys.
F

I drove an ecoboost last week, and the power was impressive. However, the price tag, coupled with my archaic fears about squeezing that much power out of a 3.5L and my snobbish dislike for Ford styling , have driven me back into the arms of Government Motors.

I'm going to look at a Silverado 1/2 ton with the new 5.3L and Max Trailering Package. It's really hard to find, but it includes beefed up rear suspension, oversized radiator, integrated trailer brake controller, larger rear axle, and most important, 3.73 rear. I think it'll be enough for the occasional "heavy" towing that i need to do, but should be very servicable as a daily road runner...and i should be able to get it for $5K less than the ecoboost.

Problem is that they are almost impossible to find in that configuration. There's one in Harrisburg PA, so i guess that means I'm taking off work tomorrow to go up and look at it. (I'm actually going up to the Outdoor Show, but this makes for a lovely side trip). If i'm not impressed, i think i may hold out for a good used Duramax...

Thanks for all the advice guys.
F

Good luck. I didn't think you were looking at 1/2 tons, but I guess I read wrong. Post up some pics when you get it. Tundra with 5.7 and 4.3 rear would probably work.

Last edited:
Back