NDR My Dad's shutzen rifle.

Matt Moore

Here's what I've been up to instead of getting any yard work done. I built a muzzleloading shutzen rifle for my dad. He'd given me the stock blank years ago, and then later gave me the barrel. At that point I decided to build him a rifle with the parts he'd given me, almost free I thought, boy was I wrong.
Jim Heyden, "The Book Peddler", had a book on american muzzleloading shutzen rifles, so I decided that's what I'd build my dad, since he likes shooting shutzen rifles. 100 bucks later, I had the book. I bought an L & R shutzen lock, and picked up a suitable trigger guard and buttplate casting. I also bought a solid tang breach plug, and a single set trigger. Shutzen is off hand and bench target shooting at 200 yards. It was very popular prior to the 1st world war, especially among german immigrants. Most guys that do it now shoot singleshot cartridge guns, usually on Winchester highwall rifles.
This had alot of extra work over a standard muzzleloader. I wanted a false muzzle on the barrel, and after a complex operation was able to to this, using the last 1 1/2 inches of the existing muzzle. I won't go into how I did it, I don't want to bore everyone.
The stock is configured like no other gun I'd built, and my dad is several inches taller than I am, with longer arms and neck. It took a few dry fits to figure the comb height, pull length etc. It's way easier to build a gun the fits yourself, or at least someone you're still living with.
The trigger guard was a pain in the butt. the casting had the front tang attached to the guard, this isn't correct, the tang should be a separate piece, and the guard hooks under it. I didn't know this until I'd already inletted the tang, and had a bolt to hold it on installed under the barrel tang. I was not satisfied with the installation, but had done the best I could figure out at the time. When I found out the right way, I broke down and sawed off the tang, and made a new one that's held on by two screws in the barrel channel. This worked much better.
My dad had grumbled that it didn't have a tip out breach, and I didn't like that part either. So after I'd already inletted the solid tang plug in the stock, I changed coarse, and sawed off the tang and filed a hook to the breach. I sawed out a false breach from a piece of channel iron, and tried to fit it to the tip out breach. I'd built one of these once before from scratch, but had no luck with this one, and eventually bought a new plug and tang. The factory tang and plug didn't fit together especially well either, but with some peening I closed the gaps to a better fit, but still not what I was really after.
The original set trigger I'd picked out wasn't working out, so I bought another that worked well. More money out the door!
When I drilled the hole for the ramrod, it ran off center. Something that had always gone well for me before. I ultimately decided it's a target rifle, and he'd have to carry a loading rod with the rest of the tool box full of stuff you take to a day of shutzen shooting.
The stock was very coarse grained, and it took forever to fill the grain, and was miserable to checker, very fuzzy cutting. I'd had thoughts of carving the stock as well, but I didn't trust that corky wood. I'm glad now I didn't, the wood is pretty enough without it anyway.
The barrel was somewhat beat up, and took alot of hours to get the rust and dings out of it, but it went well. The triggerguard was a very hard casting, with lots of nooks to clean up. If I had to do it over, I'd have gotten the same hardware cast in brass, especially since it got plated. The nickle plating was a last minute decision that I'm glad I had done, but more money out the door. The lock and other parts were easy, except the cock had nooks and crannies. The rest of the parts I made from mild steel. I wanted to color case harden them, but was leery of trying that without experience, and at last minute as well, so I niter blued the whole mess. I feel I did ok on the engraving, but I need to spend much more time drawing scrolls to get where I should be.
This gun took the longest to build of any I've done, both in actual work hours, and calendar years. When I started it I was working out of town a lot. Then my knees went bad, and I was in and out of surgery for a couple of years. Then I spent a year on the road learning my current job, then we moved to Astoria, and I had to build my shop so I had a place to work, so it got mothballed for long periods of time. I hate to admit it took my wife to getting after me to get it going again.
While I really struggled with this rifle, seeing the old man's face when I handed it to him made it all worth the effort. I also feel I advanced a lot in experience with this gun. I had to figure out a lot from pictures and gut feeling alone. It's definitely a different style of rifle!

Here's my Dad trying it out, the false muzzle wouldn't be on it if he were really shooting, and I see the front site isn't in the up position.
e5h57d.jpg

Close up of the lock. He'll probably have to cut the stem of the peep site shorter. I didn't build the site, it's one my dad had.
23wphcx.jpg

The image for this boar was stolen off of a german made shutzen built on a martini action. The boar was engraved on the side of the action.
zks3h0.jpg

20jqsr6.jpg

My dad and I the day he got it.
rsad09.jpg

That is awesome. I'm sure it will shoot as well as it looks. Love the boar.
Sounds like you have done more muzzleloaders, what other ones have you built?

I have a Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit sitting here waiting to go together. You have made me feel like a wimp putting off just putting a simple kit together. :)

Tim

Awesome! It turned out very nice. In my experience with building and working on a FEW, sounds like you have much more experience than I do, you have to let the gun/materials guide you at some point. I've been struggling with a side by side 28 ga (.54 smooth bore) for some time. Inletting double barrels and two locks at the same time has me pulling my hair out. I'm using modified L&R locks as well. I work on it, put it away, work on it, put it away... Your finished rifle gives me hope! Now I want to tear into mine again. I'm on a self imposed "no new projects until all others are finished..." rule and I have others I want to work on.

Gene

You did a fine job of inletting Matt. I know your father really appreciates that rifle. Did you get parts from Track of the Wolf ?

Mat
that thing is awesome. Nice work.
I sure wish someone would get dave parks back on the internet so he could see this thing.
The rifle bug is a great thing. I have a friend who is into sharps rifles and he has a new one he showed off at the club. What a blast. We have a 200 yard buffalo gong target on our 300 yd range. Nothing like hurling lead at that thing over a ladder peep.

Thanks for the compliments guys. As far as I know, all the parts I purchased are still available through track of the wolf, or dixie gun works. I built several kits before trying stuff like this. When I lived in southern Oregon, I also had a teacher, Ron Scott, who opened his shop up to a few guys one night a week. My learning took a real jump with Ron's advice. Prior to that I went on books I'd read, and by guess and by golly. Ron somtimes puts aside his regular buisiness and does a week long class for a few guys. I went through his relief carving, and lock building classes with him. Ron's a full time smith, much of his work now is on European muzzleloaders, repairing originals, or copying them for customers. He's copying a jager rifle now, I bought a set of castings from him at the Gunmakers Fair, so I can build one too some day.
I'm considering starting the one night a week thing in my own shop for interested guys, it'd take commitment on my part to see it through, but I sure miss Ron's classes, and I don't know of anyone of his ability in my area, so I really aught to do it.
My next gun will be a single barrel Manton fowler. I built the lock from castings copied off an original Manton in Ron's lock class. I also have similar castings for most of the other parts. I have to scratch build the breach plug though, as far as I know no one makes what I need for a left hand Manton.
If you guys are interested in copies of original parts, do a web search for "The Rifle Shoppe". They strip down an original, make silicone molds of them, and make wax castings in the silicone molds that they then investment cast into nearly identical copies of the original gun. They made the Manton parts I have. They're not cheap, but they're not out of line either for what you're getting.
If you can get permission, to handle an original gun, you can push various parts of the gun into florist's foam, and then use plaster of paris in the impression to make a study piece for later. I got to do this on the jager Ron sold me the parts for, so when I finally get around to building it, I can study the carving, stock dimensions and stuff like that with it, instead of relying on just photos and memory. If you guys are interested I can post photos so you can see how it's done.
You'll also learn alot from the copies of originals. My Manton lock is way faster than the L and R Manton locks. L and R got the look pretty close, but there's subtle things that Manton did to increase lock performance that show up with the copied castings. I also have an out of print book on the Mantons that's full of photos of originals.
The last thing I'll say is don't be afraid to try something that has a big chance of failure, especially with reproduction parts, you can always replace them. I've got several failures floating around the shop, two pistol stocks, a set trigger, a failed pistol barrel boreout attempt. Tip out breaches are something I continue to struggle with. I used to look at those failures and get angry, now I'm glad I tried, I learned alot from it. I hate to screw up a stock beyond salvage though, good wood is expensive, and I'm more attached to it than metal, I don't quite know how to say it. Also try to have something handy to do that takes little finesse, but lots of energy, splitting fire wood or digging dirt, or even sanding down a barrel are great things to switch to when the complex stuff isn't going well.

That's hillarious Joe. As you've probably figured, I land in the make the first shot count club, that would probably change if what I'm shooting at shot back.

As you've probably figured, I land in the make the first shot count club, that would probably change if what I'm shooting at shot back. Your right.When they'er shooting back,you just start shooting until they stop.Game is different.

Back