NDR Northern Lights

harry whitley

Alright all you guys from the great white north, how far north and and what time of year do I go to see the "northern lights". Hope it's closer than Alaska as it will cost me better than $3k roundtrip to Fairbanks from Raleigh Durham airport not including hotel or meals.
Northern Lights is part of my "bucket list"

Thanks,
Harry

When I was youg and strong and used to fish nights, we saw them every summer here in Montauk. I have a friend Brian Sims who owns Lindburgs Lodge in Northern Saskatuan who tookk some absolutly incredible pics of them, when I've seen them here in Montauk they dont have much color. Go North of here youg man for the full effect

Harry, we had a great show a several years ago, right here in North Carolina. It was as good as any I saw when stationed at Ft. Wainwright, Ak. The advice to go North is probably the best. Good luck, R.Bell

Richard,
I see you are from Chapel Hill. I bet some of the "High Nooners' used to see the northern Lights at the Bell Tower on campus at high noon in Chapel Hill.
Just kidding, I am a grad of UNC and love Chapel Hill,
Harry

Thanks Jack,

I'd darn sight rather travel to Montauk than to Alaska to see them. A lot cheaper and a lot less time consuming for me. What time of year did you see them in Montauk ?
Best,
Harry

I'm not an aurora expert I just happen to keep track of some space stuff I like to watch and the site I check out has aurora alerts when they are at their best.
I think going well north could actually be cheaper and more fulfilling then just going north far enough to see them. Every once in a while I can see them, usually the colder months. Here they just look like green hazy clouds well to the north. If you go near the arctic circle then they will be streaks in the sky nearly above you. Also the odds of seeing them on a planned trip gets better the farther north you go.
I think the colder months are usually better for a couple reasons. First there is just more night, even here in SD there is only about 6 or 7 hours of real darkness right now. As neat as seeing the sun for 24 hours a day would be I wouldn't go in June or July for northern lights. Second the earth is closer to the sun during the northern hemispheres winter. The past couple years the sun spot activity has been down and that also makes going farther north a more sure thing. Even there they don't happen every night or the clouds are too thick to see them.

http://www.spaceweather.com/ Has some aurora info on it. I'm sure there are some aurora only sites out there. btw The spaceweather site is great for kids to see things like the space station and now the shuttle going over head. The satellite tracker will give you the time to be out looking.

Good luck with your quest, if money was no object this would be my dream spot to see them http://www.icelandtotal.com/home/faq/detail/store65/item2374/ . I wonder if they look better with a little vodka? Got to keep warm. :)

Tim

Its a craps shoot

Will the auroa be active? No overcast? Tell Me do you feel lucky? Is it Possible? yes. Probable? Enjoy the trip even if you don't see the lights. It costs the Japanese a lot more to come and try to see them. __________________
The only reason to shoot a TEN is that Eights ain't LEGAL!

Good Luck Bob

Back