NDR Scope Question

Bob Hannes

Well about a year ago I was lucky and won a Kimber Bolt .300 Win Mag and I need to put a scope on it. I want to keep it versatile for WI and possibly out west. I am looking at the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16 x 42( not sure I need this much magnification), The Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 x 42 (cheapest of the three) and the Burris Euro Diamond 2.5-10 x 44 (longest/adjustable eye relief).

I was looking at the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10 x 40, until I saw the eye relief was only 3.3". Any comments on the companies, scopes themselves, or customer service? Just looking for some opinions, been 20 years since I bought a scope and that bushnell is still fine. I hunt northern wisconsin in thick woods this gun would only be used if my .308 is being used by the wife, so i want low end magnification but would like to gather as much light as possible without over doing it up to the 50mm + scopes.

Thanks,

Bob

If you have the chance actually look through all of your options, I sold a bunch of scopes in the past and what looed
best to me wasnt always the one that looked best with the customers eyes. Regardless of price.
That said if the Nikon is the least expensive, has clear optics with your eyes, etc. they are a hell of a scope and
thier customer service is second to none.
Bushnell makes a good scope but that range of magnification is a parralax(sp?) nightmare. Unless it has an AO which
is unusual in a 42.

If it was my money I would also look at Meopta scopes. Unbelievable clarity and light gathering. My eyes cannot tell
the difference between that and Swarovski. At lots less money, with great customer service.

Hope that helps

I personally would go with the Nikon. All are good scopes but the Nikon optics seem to be a lot clearer and crisper. I have several Nikons on my rifles and I havent been disappointed yet. I also have a couple Bushnell's too, and they seem durable enough but I definitely favor the Nikon. Have you looked at the Leupolds? They make a beautiful scope too, kinda pricey but worth it. Good luck.

My 61 year old eyes need optics. I have a 1.75 x 5 Redfield that suits my needs well.

Burris has an unambigious lifetime warranty, even if you buy it from ebay.

I have bought several name brand scopes on ebay for not alot of money. Before bidding I always ask the question "Is the view through the optics crystal clear?". If the answer is "off" I do not bid.

In my experience fixed magnification low power scopes, like a 2.5x Burris, do not sell for big prices.

one word....leupold. i would go with the vari x 3 in a 2.5x8x36mm. very good eye relief brings in a lot of light. plenty of magnification should you need it. they are probably more expensive then the bushnell might be about the same as the nikon. ive own two leupolds my father owns 5-6. never had a problem. ther're very clear and very durable. if you dont go with a leupold i would say out of the ones you listed the nikon is your best bet.

eddie

I second the Leupold (LOO-Pold) vote from Ed. They make great products. The 300 can shoot a long way, so if you can shoot a long way as well, go for the 3-9 variable mag.

First off, how far are you comfortable shooting? Now, how far are you willing to take a shot. I have used nikon, leupold and now have finally settled on a ziess. I do lots of varmint hunting at well over 400 yards so clarity was most important over certain features. I have a 6.5 x 20 x 50 and never shoot at a power higher than 14x even out past 800 yds. Too much zoom if you want to call it, picks up to much mirage, even on the coldest of days. It also makes the slighest movement very hard to compensate for. I will only raise my power to 18 - 20 to locate and object. The scopes you mention are all reasonable for price but I would go with the burris first since the eye relief is ajustable and the lens is 44mm. And I really wouldn't go much past 9 or 14 power. Most often you will not use a power that high while hunting any other way than prone anyhow, since also it makes for a harder time in aquiring your target quickly in your power is to high. One other thing to consider when getting a scope when looking to get the most receptive light. The scope body is either 1" or 30mm. The 30mm sized scopes allow mush more light than the 1".

put the best scope on it you can afford. You want a better scope than rifle, cause if you cant see it you sure cant shoot it.

Bob, For northern Wis hunting stay away from the high power scopes. Most deer you will see are less than a hundred yards often less than fifty. For every deer I have killed a hundred I have killed four at fifty or less. My experience a high powered scope at a running deer up close is a night mare. For spotting deer get a good binoculars. I never point my gun at any thing unless I am going to shoot.
I have a Leupold, One through four, Most of the time it is on one. I keep both eyes open. It is easy to do at one power. The eye relief is adjustable most good scopes are. The selling points of a Leupold. Clarity center to edge. Almost indestructible, Life time warranty, Good resale value,often more than you payed for it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I just hate buying scopes. I know what ever I choose I will be happy with. I am trying to stay with a 33mm tube, 40 mm, but need to get as low power as I can. I hunt about 1/2 north of Wispete so I have thought about your suggestions, this gun will only be a back up for me in Wis. My .308 has a 1.75 -5 x 32 mm. I am looking to get better light transmission, and be able to use it here and out west if I ever go. Actually where I hunt was logged 5 years ago and I hunt a logging road where my shots are 100-200 yards. I guess I may need to look around some more. I did like the leupolds, but did not feel the view was worth the extra $.

Bob

Back