NDR Survey & a Question

Eric Patterson

Staff member
What is the best concert/performance you ever saw? On a related note isn't the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a complete SHAM for omitting Rush?

Eric

p.s. Just spent the evening helping kids with homework. Had to listen to some music to calm my nerves.

What is the best concert/performance you ever saw? On a related note isn't the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a complete SHAM for omitting Rush?

Eric

p.s. Just spent the evening helping kids with homework. Had to listen to some music to calm my nerves.

Eric,
The best concert performance I have ever seen was the Vienna Boys Choir at the University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point.
They were fantastic.
Al

PS---Eric, I forgot one: Going to Avery Fischer Hall at the Lincoln Center in New York City during Easter and being part of a 300 member choir along with the Manhattan Symphony and performing Haydn's "Creation". Breathtaking

Last edited:
One of the first concerts I ever saw as a kid was the Moody Blues, at the Cumberland County Civic Center in Portland, ME. I was probably 15 or so.

They weren't very good--I mean, shoot, my parents liked the Moody Blues, and they were all older than my parents.

But there was this unknown guy who opened for them, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Best guitarist I ever saw, just amazing.

I was just curious so I checked out the Rock and Rol HOF site and found this.

· Alice Cooper
· Beastie Boys
· Bon Jovi
· Chic
· Neil Diamond
· Donovan
· Dr. John
· J. Geils Band
· LL Cool J
· Darlene Love
· Laura Nyro
· Donna Summer
· Joe Tex
· Tom Waits
· Chuck Willis

Those are this years nominees for induction. Really... LL Cool J , J Geiles Band, Bon Jovi and the Beastie Boys but no Rush? Donna Summer?
Alice Cooper isn't in but the Bee Gees have been in for 15 year. Am I missing what Rock and Roll is?

Tim

Robert Plant on the Manic Nirvana tour. He did a couple of songs from the album followed by almost 3 hrs of Zeppelin stuff - came back to do 3 encores!

Anthony

And Ironically WMMS 100.7 in Cleveland is the Station that really was the first play RUSH on the US. air waves. People of NE ohio went crazy, couldn't get enough of the band. I agree total BS but the music establishment never liked them.

Gene

Hi Eric. An absolute sham. I've seen Rush 3 times, once in Md, twice in Montreal. Unbelieveable. As to the most unbelieveable concert I've ever been to, it was The Legends of Boston, in Memorial Auditorium in Btv Vt. About a dozen guys, former members of Boston, J Geils, The Cars, Doobie Bros, and a most amazing 18 year old guitar player maned Desiree, and others too numerous to mention.

Talk about feeling like a kid again....

John

Oh-oh, going to show my age here. Home from college during winter breaks there were lots of great concerts at the old Fillmore East (long gone). Have to rank one with Hendrix and one with 10 Years After (Alvin Lee-I'm Goin' Home!) as the best. We're talking 1969-70.

Lalapalooza in '95 (before it became corporate)
Jimmy Buffet in '97
Smashing Pumpkins & Garbage on Halloween night in '97

I have to agree with the general sentiment; Rush not being there, but some of the other acts that are??? Leaves me scratching my head. Neal Peart has to be one of the most, if not THE most talented drummer I've ever seen.

Best Concert: Larry Long & Dan Sebranek, Leo and Leona's Tavern, Newburg Corners, WI, 2011. When a singer/songrwriter has new material and wants to share it--that's always the best concert. Plus, the venue must seat less than 100 people and serve Grain Belt in a bottle.

Rush: Since when wasn't any Hall of Fame a sham?

The Greatful Dead was the best performance and show experience hands down and I am not a fan of their music outside of seeing them live. Other notable shows, Mellencamp, Buffett, Dave Mathews. But I still prefer seeing lessor known artists in small venues, Tina and the B sides comes to mind for you Minnesota guys, saw a singer/songwriter showcase iin Nashville once. You get so much more raw energy and intimateness from smaller clubs. Thats why the Dead was one of the best, they still brought that to a large venue at Soliders Field, besides everything that went on associated with the show.

As for Rush, I am a big music fan and do like them, (saw once), but when it comes to grammy's, hall of fame and that sort of thiing I could care less. They are all artists and make music for themselves and fans, thats all that matters.

One of the Best live shows I've ever seen, little Band called NRBQ at the Stephen Talkhouse, Amagansett NY.
Also same venue, Little Charlie and The Nightcats. Still sounding good after all these years, The Allman Brothers at the Beacon theatre NYC. Every March.

A few years ago Dwight Yoakum came to Corpus Christi. I was blown away after that show, it was great. Everything from the old Hank Williams style suits, to the stand up bass. I can still remember he was wearing aqua blue cowboy boots. The whole concert I kept thinking, "he's actually pulling off blue cowboy boots"

Easy - John Cougar August 1982 Lincoln Nebraska. I was there that summer prior to starting grad school and had a bunch of time to myself. This was when hurst so Good and Jack and Diane came out. They played in on the local college station and I liked the song. Found out he was coming to Lincoln and bought tickets. Was lucky to meet him and the warm up band - Charlie Burton and the Cutouts.

Great concert and one I'll always remember.

Mark w

Yep, we sure lost a great guitar player when Stevie Ray Vaughn died. Just watched a show on PBS a couple of weekends agothat featured him. Amazing.

Back