NDR Survey & a Question

On a related note isn't the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a complete SHAM for omitting Rush?

Oh hell yeah! What a crock of SH&^

One of my all time favorite lines:

"If choose not to decide you still have made a choice"

Back in around 1989-90, Rush came out with a full length live concert video, saw it one, it was fantastic.

Easy, the Bo Deans in a dumpy little bar in Milwaukee called the Globe. Got a call from the girlfriend who gets her hair cut by Sammy's brother, Dude is his "name". Dude says the boys are in town, gonna play at the Globe, bouncing off the heavy metal band that is scheduled, so be there.

we show up, pay the 5 buck cover, place has a bunch of metal heads, Sammy and the boys come out on stage, start playing, these guys get pissed, leave, complain...pretty soon people walking up and down the streets hear them, they pile in, place gets packed. Place holds like 150 tops so imagine sitting front row at this small little bar jamming with them. They played like 3 hours, whatever the crowd wanted. Pretty sweet.

Pink Floyd in Madison at Camp Randall was pretty nice as well.

Well, I have seen a lot of concerts in my day but I have to say the most MEMORABLE was in 1964.

Right before school started, my (then) 6th grade classmate and his older sister received 4 tickets from their Grandma and were allowed to each ask a friend to attend. Roger chose me.

Olympia Stadium in Detroit - Headliner was.......The Beatles. True story, first concert that I ever attended. Didn't hear a thing but screaming teenagers from the minute they stepped on stage.

I even bought a "I Love Ringo" button. Wish I had it now, I could buy a new motor for my boat.

Unfortunately, never saw Stevie Ray or Sinatra. Sinatra @ the Sands 1966 one of the best live recordings. Stevie's no slouch either.

Capt John I just have to say Awesome! it was great. Second best was seeing America. Just moved into a apartment with my roommate and was waiting for the phone to be connected. Periodically I would pick it up to listen for a dial tone. Picked it up had a dial tone right when I heard the announcer on the radio say dial 123-4567. He answered and said so do want to go? I answered yes not knowing what I just won. 2 tickets to see america at Ravinia and meet the band pretty cool. But Floyd was a hell of a show.

I was at the National FFA convention in Kansas City in 1990. Part of our time was spent at the American Royal Livestock Show and Exposition being held at the same time. We went to the rodeo and a very little known at the time fellow by the name of Garth Brooks was the rodeo entertainment. It was just him and the band on the back of a flatbed gooseneck trailer in the middle of the rodeo arena and it was awesome. Saw him again at a free customer appreciation concert put on by a Knoxville, Tn radio station a few months later and he had all the lights and such and was climbing the towers singing through a wireless headset. Both were awesome to a skinny little redneck from east tn.

Also ranking up there is a young guy from Marshall, TX by the name of Wes Jeans. Texas blues mixed with some Hendrix jam......look out for this kid, well worth seeing.

Taver

Stevie ray. Played in fitchburg ma. Followed closely by any roomfull of blues show at the windjammer misquamicut ri. Then as a third the reducers at the el en gee club. New london ct. Missed my chance to see delbert mclinton at the nickerbocker. Westerly ri. Dumb a$$.

I too have seen the Vienna Boys choir and have to say that choir is awesome for sound. Mormon Tabernacle choir right their with them. Than there is this guy called Santana. Few can play like him. Saw Moody Blues in Portland a few years ago. Great concert. Oh yeh, Duewy Balfa and the Balfa Brothers band from south Louisiana. Or Doug Kershaw. Awh, theres so many great ones out there.

Aerosmith in the Paramont theatre in Cedar Rapids Iowa topped them all. Toys in the Attic was just out and HOT and this was an 1100 seat theatre built in the 1920s (still there today). We were there in the 4th or 5th row center. It was incredible!

Second was the Kinks in the Stouffer's Five Season Centre in Cedar Rapids...just a great show. They were great showmen!! Just outstanding!! My brother-in-law and I went together with a goat sack of Chet's wine and worked our way up front.

Third was AC/DC in the Stouffer's Five Season Centre. This was in the late 70's - what a Show!!!

And I can't not admit that YES - I did see KISS twice. The first KISS show started with Johnny Cougar. OK - I dated myself too.

Hitch

Hey Bob,
My sister lives in Manhatten and my brother-in -law took me to see
Hendrix at the Filmore too.
I was in high school !!

Best was Chuck Berry in 1974, (his warm-up band was Muddy Waters.) Second would be J. Geils Band and third was Kansas. Wow, I just realized I am really old.

Best I've ever seen was mellencamp, and I've seen a lot of live music. He just owns the stage. i'm not even that big of a fan of his music, but he tore it up when I saw him.

Jimmy Buffett in 76, 81, 85, 89
Hall & Oates in 82
Little River Band in 83
The Cars in 79
Alan Jackson in 02

I'll have to second The Dead. I saw them in a number of different venues. My favorite was the Uptown Theater in Chicago, second would be Alpine Valley. I also saw Koko Taylor a number of times. The best was when Buddy Guy was playing with her.

Tom

Back