NDR:Western CBR breeder recommendations

Hi all.

I'm wondering if anyone might recommend a good CBR breeder in the CO/WY area. Big area, I know. Spinnaker Ridge in KS will not be breeding this spring/summer and the breeder I was working with in Montrose, CO was not successful. The only other breeder I know of out here in CO is a show breeder.

Having taken the last few years off on account of losing my retriever, grad school and a new baby, it's time to get back on the river.

Thank you for any help in this search.

I don't know, as I was going to recommend the breeder in Montrose. Perhaps Butch Goodwin from on Northern Flight could help.

Thanks Phil. I was certainly disappointed when Dave brought me the news of his challenges around the specific breeding. He's got a nice little breeding program going on there and I have met one of his dogs. Top notch. If anyone else in the vicinity occurs to you, let me know. Thanks man.

Goeff,

Just a suggestion to widen your search area. Pups and grown dogs are shipped all over the country all the time. Either commercial or just by meeting halfway. Pick "the best breeder for you" not just the closest and work out a transfer.

Good luck.

Team Chesapeake and American Chesapeake club are a good place to start.

http://www.teamchesapeake.com

http://www.amchessieclub.org

Had both of my chessies flown in from Virginia to Iowa, was not a hassle at all.
IMG_3305.jpg
[/URL]

Hi all.

I'm wondering if anyone might recommend a good CBR breeder in the CO/WY area. Big area, I know. Spinnaker Ridge in KS will not be breeding this spring/summer and the breeder I was working with in Montrose, CO was not successful. The only other breeder I know of out here in CO is a show breeder.

Having taken the last few years off on account of losing my retriever, grad school and a new baby, it's time to get back on the river.

Thank you for any help in this search.

Linda Harger in Idaho has the best Chessies I have seen and I've seen a lot. I got to judge the Chesapeake National Specialty a few years back. Her pups are expensive though.

Here's a link http://www.fireweedchesapeakes.com/

Last edited:
Geoff, All of the above are good recommendations. Probably the most extensive listing of breeders that I have seen is gundogbreeders.com. I have a friend in North Dakota that is currently breeding chessies, if you are willing to go that far, pm me for his info. I think the airlines rules for shipping puppies has changed, better check before making a long distance commitment on a pup. Rich

Geoff,

You have gotten some good suggestions. You might want to investigate the 'show' breeder a little more. There tends not to be a split in the chessie breed between field and show. Most of our chessies had the breed championships.

As far as distance is concerned air shipping is an option. There is also "Move the Dog." This is a ground transportation service, door-to-door I believe. It is run by a woman named Kati Becker. I have no personal experience but, have read numerous good reviews over on RTF.

Tom

Geoff,

You have gotten some good suggestions. You might want to investigate the 'show' breeder a little more. There tends not to be a split in the chessie breed between field and show. Most of our chessies had the breed championships.

As far as distance is concerned air shipping is an option. There is also "Move the Dog." This is a ground transportation service, door-to-door I believe. It is run by a woman named Kati Becker. I have no personal experience but, have read numerous good reviews over on RTF.

Tom

Good point, but the field/show split in Chessies is no where near the huge divide between field and show Golden's or Labs. As a matter of fact Linda Harger is running a dual champion right now. The last dual champion Golden was in the mid 70s with Labs almost as far back.

Here's a cool article... http://www.chessieinfo.net/user/image/browndualchrasmuson.pdf

Last edited:
Pretty interesting article, here is a quick link to it,

http://www.chessieinfo.net/user/image/browndualchrasmuson.pdf

to summarize, Chessie's are awesome, Labs and Goldens not so much.

I know, I know, but I couldn't help it!

Or how can you tell an ugly Chessie from a handsome one? You can't, so once you get an FC or AFC title just show the dog and receive your Ch. Just kidding, the point is to give credit to the Chessie powers to be for holding to the standard, where the Lab and Golden show folks have wandered way far from the standard.

Good morning All.

Thank you very much for the responses and discussion posted under my query. After a brief absence, I am back on the case with much to do an think about. My appreciation to all who contributed to this thread.

My absence in response was due to the fact that I recently lost my grandfather, Howard Johnson, an old lion of 95 years, to a sudden and massive stroke. A point of interest: he and his designer, Bob Hillberg, were responsible for bringing the Browning BPS to (Browning and) the market- along with many other designs for the other big names of New Haven, CT and the surrounding area. Odds are, he and Bob likely played a role in the design and/or production of the old Marlin, High Standard, Olin (flare gun), Winchester (including the 10 ga. blank cannon), and many other military applications you may have siting in your safe right now. He was buried under a heavy snow and when the naval honor guard fired, several groups of mallards burst out of the marsh, circled during taps, and pitched back into the marsh on the trumpet's last note. It was a most fitting end for a the man who first took me out, midwinter, onto the frozen rockpiles and ledges of LI Sound, pulling each of our 80 wooden broadbill decoys' 50' of tarred line bare-handed without a complaint.

As for the dogs, I'm glad to bring a pup back into our house. As a new and welcome turn, my folks are visiting CO (getting a grandkids fix) in the spring, date TBD, and they have offered to sherpa a pup here. This opens up breeders from Maine to NJ. Good options abound.

Last edited:
Geoff,
You are very lucky to have a Grandfather that you could share those hunting experiences with and have those memories
for a life time. Sorry for your loss.
Sincerely, Tom

Back