Need help with acquiring wood for restoration project

All,
After about 4 years or working on this restoration, I am determined to get this boat finished for this season. The boat is a hand-made classic 12 footer I acquired from Art Atay, a member on this site, a number of years ago. I am down to the last step, which is replacing two sections of the decking. The hull and decking appears to be made of western red cedar, planed to 1/4". I stripped the entire boat to the bare wood and built it back up from there, but I simply need to replace two sections of the decking. The decking was pieced together with 4 pieces of 11" X 42" planed stock, and the two pieces 8" X 60" stock. I need to replace 2 pieces of the former and 1 of the lattter.

Does anyone know a good source for obtaining western red cedar planed to 1/4"? The only other option I can figure out is to use bead and cove to cover the deck, but would prefer not to do that if I can possibly avoid it. Would deeply appreciate any recommendations. I am attaching a picture of the boat taken by Art some years ago. Thank you in advance./cc

View attachment 12 footer DE restore.JPG

Last edited:
Craig, I dont know how your shop is equipped but if you have a bandsaw and a thickness planer you can get it done. Make a fence for your bandsaw table and rip a 3/4 board in half and then make a few passes through the planer and you should have your 1/4 thickness. A 4 inch scarph joint should give you the strength for the deck. Cypress, white cedar and sassafrass are alternatives to red cedar. Is plywood out of the question? I dont know how the deck beams are situated to see how wide or narrow your boards need to be. Is the deck going to be covered with canvas or glass?

Craig,

That picture brings back memories!!

I'm real happy that someone got those boats, who appreciates what they are.
Two guys wanted to know if they were 14' long, as they could make two 7' bookshelves out of them.

Are you going to canvas cover the boat, or Fiberglas it?

Either way I'm sure it will turn into a classic just like your Mallard Queen.

Say HI to the family,

Art

I just did a "millwork Leawood Kansas" search in google and got 26 results. Home Depot carries cedar decking that any of those shops would mill for you. Hope that is helpful.

Hey Art,
Great to hear from you! Think of you everytime i sit down down to work on the boat. Bound and determined to get it on the water this fall. Actuallysd I have decided not to canvas or figerglass it. I stripped all the wood down to a bare surface front and back and then have treated it with a boiled linseed oil and turpetine mixture. Added two coats of and Lou's FME paint on top of that. She's tight as a tick and will begood for another couple of generations as soon as I get the decking on her.Really pleased with how light the boat is, and you remember it has those brass braces -- I still have never seen another boat put together that way. I will need to weigh the boat when I am all down, but I am thinking she will be 60 lbs or less. Trust you are doing well and please give my regards to your wife./cc

Hey Bob,
Thank you for the suggestion, and good to hear from you. I don't have a planer, so I think I will just take Kenneth's suggestion and just have a local shop do the millwork. I am not using glass on the boat (because it was not built that way originally), which is why I have ruled out using plywood. I looked into strip decking it but got sticker shock when I calculated the cost. Trying to keep the boat's weight down as much as possible. Saw your post of the latest boat you are working on -- if you can manage a boat that size you could restore a whaler!/cc

Back