Need some gouges

I'd like to start adding a little bit of relief on my decoys, mostly the side pocket and the channel between the wings. I've been looking for some gouges to do this work, but I'd like to get the opinion of some of you guys before I buy. Any and all details (brand, size, handle, etc.) you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I have had luck with Two Cherries and Swiss Made. I do not like intermediate size chisels or gouges. They are too short for my hands and make it awkward for me. I stick to the full size tools.

Thanks guys.

Andy, those are some nice looking gouges. Unfortunately, they're a little out of my budget at the moment.

Tom, do you use the V-gouge to create 90 degree angles to make it easier to stay symetrical? How do you go back and soften up the grooves?

Is good for cutting in pockets, fluting the tail and working around and on primaries. I also use a fish tailed palm to smooth the edges out i can't get with rasp or draw knife

I agree that the flexcuts are a good buy. Woodcraft has a few sets on sale now and they are having a 15% off sale next weekend. Not sure how close you might be to the Raleigh or Charlotte stores. They sale the "standards" which have a palm handle, but long shaft. They may or may not have the 90 degree gouge in the store. I use the fishtails (#3s) to round-over and skews. Another nice thing about the flexcuts is that they are thinner than the Swiss Made gouges. I think they are easier to get into tight spaces.

Thanks for the heads up, Andy. That's a pretty good price, and free shipping until the 18th. Wonder if my wife will notice $50 missing from our account?

jonathan, I would just buy one gouge. find what you think is the appropriate size and buy the best steel you can. Don't buy a set. You will find you only use one or two most of the time. The money you save buy a v gouge or skew chisel. Buy as needed. If I remember correctly English, German, or Swedish steel is what to look for. It is a matter of carving or sharpening. Poor steel and you are sharping all the time. Nothing is more frustrating and dangerous than carving with a dull chisel. With a sharp chisel or gouge with good steel it will go through wood easy peasy.

That's a good point, although I hate to turn down a tool sale.

Has anybody tried any of the "Denny" knives or gouges? I just noticed them on the MDI site. They're supposedly American made from 01 steel. The price seems pretty low for a hand made tool, so I'm wondering if it's one of those "too good to be true" deals.

I am not sure what sort of steel Flexcut uses, but i have been happy with what i have and dont find they need any more sharpening than my Swiss Mades. I understand the hesitation on buying a set- but if you feel like you'll use 3 out of the 4 tools you'll come out ahead price-wise in most cases. I would suggest buying the largest set they have. I am a big fan of using the biggest tool i can for the job. It seems to cut down on tool marks and of course they move more wood. As for the Dennys- i only have one rather obscure skew from them. I dont use it often, but i have no complaints either.

Back