New boat in the works-Devlin Poleboat

Cody Williams

Hey guys, thought that I'd share some photos of my newest boat project-I'm building Devlin's Poleboat. This boat caught my eye a few years ago, and I've been wanting to build something to hunt the motorless areas of our local WMA's. I've been using a canoe in them but I've really wanted something more duckboat-like to access them-the Poleboat seemed to fit the bill. Of course since I can't ever be satisfied building anything to the letter of the plans (just ask the architects at my job) I'm going to build a motor mount on her to mount a small horsepower longtail mud motor. I don't want to spoil her lines or function but I also like the idea of being able to drop a motor on her to get to some more far-flung spots. I'd also like to thank Tom Scholberg for sending me a great CD of photos of his Poleboat build and some great shots of it in action-he really lit the fire under me to build this boat!

I've always wanted to try an inverted build since everything I've done so far has been keel down, and Sam was kind enough to provide a baseline on his plans for an inverted build so I had to try it out.

Building jig-
P8170001.jpg
[/URL]

Using a laser level to set the bulkheads to the baseline-
P8170003.jpg
[/URL]

Hull panels stitched and epoxy tabbed-
P8210004.jpg
[/URL]

Another view-I really love the graceful lines Sam gave this boat
P8210006.jpg
[/URL]

Stitches pulled, hull faired and ready for glass-
P8230007.jpg
[/URL]

I will glass the outside of the hull this evening, then flip her over to begin work on the inside. Here's a few shots of the motor I'm planning to run on her-it's a Swomp Lite Glider from Backwater, Inc. I'm running a 7hp Kohler motor on the frame, can't wait to try it out as the frame is really well built and engineered. If any of you are looking for a small HP longtail I'd really recommend these guys, they are great to deal with and put out a high-quality motor.

P8230009.jpg
[/URL]

P8230011.jpg
[/URL]

P8230012.jpg
[/URL]

That's all I've got for now, I'll post some more photos as I get more work done. I'm really excited to get this boat in the water!

Cody, You are going to love that boat. Did I send pics of my motor mount? You do not want to alter the lines of the boat in any way. At full power with my 4 hp the stern squats clear under water so watch the weight of your motor. I usually just use a kayak paddle, never have poled mine. Good luck

Tom, you did have pictures of your mount on the CD. Looks like a neat rig! Actually I've decided to just leave her as Sam designed her, maybe with the provision to mount a small trolling motor on the stern. I really liked the longtail idea but the more I thought about it the more I realized that it just wasn't "right" for this boat. I've been working on filleting and taping the inside of the hull and bulkheads, will post more photos soon!

Cody~

Are you going to set it up for oars? I'll bet it rows really well with the right oars and a low seat - but I'm wondering whether Devlin would recommend a small skeg.

I look forward to your progress - and it looks like we won't have to wait long for the "finishing touches phase.

All the best,

SJS

Steve, I do plan to set it up for rowing as I'm thinking that might be the fastest way to get around if I'm going for longer distances. There are oarlocks called out on the plans, I was just thinking about how to make them movable so I could find out the best spot for them before I make them permanent. I honestly have never set a boat up for rowing before so I'm not sure exactly where the "sweet spot" for the oarlocks will be. There isn't a skeg on the plans but the boat does have a fairly deep V in the front 1/3rd that I'm betting will help it track fairly straight.

Cody~

I agree about the speed and efficiency of rowing. So many have never had the opportunity to row a boat that is made for rowing. Experiences rowing cartoppers and jonboats and other "cranky" planing hulls give no idea how sweet a good displacement hull with a nice entry and run can be.

Re placement of rowing station:

1) I would mark the designed waterline (I'm presuming the D.W.L. is shown on the plans) and move fore and aft until she floats right on her marks - with all the typical gunning gear stowed in its various locations.

2) The oarlocks should be 8 or 9 inches aft of the rear edge of your seat. As I said earlier, a low stool or removable thwart to sit on while rowing makes an enormous difference in both comfort and efficiency.

3) Some sort of foot brace adds lots of power. In my Scooter, I just rest my heels against the nearest frames (ribs) either side of the floorboard. You may want to install some kind of chock or quarter knee for the same purpose. Lots of pulling boats have adjustable foot braces - an athwartships rod that drops into notches in chocks. In any event, you certainly do not want anything that's in the way when gunning or handling the rig, et cetera.

BTW: The current WoodenBoat has a helpful article about the geometry of rowing stations, oar length selection, et cetera (by a designer for Chesapeake Light Craft). I'd be happy to scan it and send it along if you like.

All the best,

SJS

Boy, does that look sweet, Cody. I envy you just knowing that you have so much water available! Good luck.
Al

Thanks for the advice Steve, that knowledge will come in handy for sure. I will check out that Wooden Boat article too, it gives me a nice excuse to buy an issue!
Al, I was worried about our water situation this year but we have had an incredibly wet August, one of the wettest on record. I think we will have plenty this fall! I cut my small wheat patch at the beginning of the month and I still haven't been able to thresh it because it keeps getting rained on, our local farmers are looking at possibly losing their grain crops this year. It's good news for the ducks, grouse, deer and elk though! Have you guys been getting the same rains down your way?

Thanks again guys, I've been working but not taking photos-I'll take some tonight though. Steve, I checked out that article-lots of good info that will come in handy. I think that it will work out to use the rear bulkhead as a foot stop, I am going to reinforce it a bit so I can push off of it. Tod, we put our garlic in every October so that it's the first thing up in the spring, we usually harvest around the 3rd week of July. Nothing like some duck breasts sautéed with homegrown garlic.....

Back